Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me the only people who are making money in the lawn cutting bussiness are the ones who aren't insured or not paying taxes. I can't wait until I can fill up my schedule with landscaping and paver jobs, so I can just give my lawns away.
I look forward to showing up to one property,staying there for a few days, getting paid and getting out, only dealing with one customer a week, instead of 110 customers a week,.. crying that one of my guys drives too fast on the mower.... I can't wait till I can stop cutting lawns.. I use to love it, but the overhead is too much for for the pay. The real money is elsewhere guys. But mowing lawns will get your name out for bigger and better things.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Originally posted by troblandscape
[BI can't wait until I can fill up my schedule with landscaping and paver jobs, so I can just give my lawns away.
[/B]
Well, (and I mean this kindly) like I just told someone in another post, If you don't like this type of work GET OUT!
You might as well be happy in the type of work you're doing, so sell your accounts and lawn equipment, and don't look back.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Trob.,

1. The title of your thread is inaccurate, but it will pull in some views AND replies. There is money in cutting lawns, but you have found it's not for you. OR perhaps you are not up for the disciplined task of providing a service.

2. Your viewpoint is subjective. I enjoy maintenance and the challenge that is inherent, keeping customers satisfied. I am working with a friend now, came out of Corp. America, and cant wait to start.

Originally posted by troblandscape
instead of 110 customers a week,..
If your suggesting that you have 110 customers a week and you dont make $$$$$$, then my friend, your doing the right thing...stick to the paver jobs.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
What other services do you provide other than just cutting grass?

What your business is, is what you make of it. What money you make from it is of your own doing. What problems you perceive to be is in your own head.

I think you can see where I am going here.

Good Luck to you..........

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think the best part about the lawn business is that you dont have to go out and give estimates all the time. You go look at a lawn one time and give a price, and then you mow that lawn for years on end. In the spring i give a billion estimates on landscaping work and it keeps me busy almost every night of the week. But the lawns are there every week in and out, no questions asked.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I like the lawn maintenance gig. I't good steady money. You know just how much your going to make and how long it's going to take. Year after year.

One downside is the repetition. Doing the same lawns week after week gets old.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If your not making money in any aspect of any business then do the smart thing and discontinue that particular operation.
You can make money if you know the numbers and stick with them. As has been stated from those more experienced than I, it is the business part that is hard, mowing grass is the easy part.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Perhaps the profit margins are not where "you" would like them to be. In that respect, I agree with you. We all have different lifestyles that we choose to live from, that alone puts your theory away. As stated before, it is a high overhead low return category in this business. Although it is good, steady, monthly contracted income (we will NOT mow without contracts), it is sometimes a headache. I too prefer the landscape profit margins, but at this young stage of my business, I have generated 95% of my total work load through referrals (which came from maintenance) to fill 100% of my landscape install customer jobs. And we still are turning down less desirable work yet at this time of the year.

To generalize that there is no money in this business really doesn't hold true. One's perception is just that, their own.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Perhaps the profit margins are not where "you" would like them to be. In that respect, I agree with you. We all have different lifestyles that we choose to live from, that alone puts your theory away. As stated before, it is a high overhead low return category in this business. Although it is good, steady, monthly contracted income (we will NOT mow without contracts), it is sometimes a headache. I too prefer the landscape profit margins, but at this young stage of my business, I have generated 95% of my total work load through referrals (which came from maintenance) to fill 100% of my landscape install customer jobs. And we still are turning down less desirable work yet at this time of the year.

To generalize that there is no money in this business really doesn't hold true. One's perception is just that, their own.
very good post

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Well, I'll have to totally disagree. There's PLENTY of money in maintenance - depending on where you're located and how many crews you have operating.

One thing most people don't understand is the concept of duplication. If one worker is making you $10 per hour (profit) on his work, then 8 workers are making you $80 per hour! Each little bit adds up to be a LOT when it is multiplied!

e.g. One of my 2 man crews grosses $131,000 per year. Another 2 man crew makes $110,000 per year. Within that $241,000 - there's PLENTY of room for the entire labor burden, and all expenses associated with maintenance and plenty of money left over for me. And that's just my maintenance division.

We have another 4 guys doing irrigation and construction too. And while those jobs (irrigation and construction) are more profitable PER HOUR - They are very seasonal and they aren't as dependable. Some years, we are just sitting around waiting for installs and irrigation jobs to start. This year it was May before it really started booming. And it will end around October and just be gone for 6 months. Sure, it's great while it's here. But it's unreliable income. It's our maintenance division that pays the bills year-round and usually brings in more total money per year also.

Part of the reason maintenance is so good to us is that we do maintenance year-round. Hence, we get paid the same amount of money 12 months of the year. Which is really nice during the winter when we only come by every 2 weeks instead of weekly. Labor is in half, but maintenance income stays the same. And I realize that not every climate allows year-round maintenance.

Then there are all sorts of other benefits to having tons of maintenance customers as well. I constantly have mobile billboards going around town creating brand imaging and generating tons of calls. Also, maintenance clients often need additions (e.g. irrigation systems) or refer us to friends who need add'l work. This is a BIG percentage of the leads we get.

I could go on and on. But suffice it to say for those of you guys who are newer at this game - don't give up on maintenance! I've had several friends over the years who quit doing maintenance and just started doing construction or irrigation only. They last about a year or two then dry up and go totally broke. One case in particular - I kid you not - this guy who had been a Landscape & Irrigation contractor for over 20 years. He ditched his maintenance business and started just doing big jobs - mostly just irrigation. He was "too good" for maintenance. He did excellent work and was great with people. But the first year I met him he was begging me for work during the winter. He'd always call me up asking if I had "ANYTHING" he could do. Anything, except maintenance, that is. He was "too good" for that and refused to do it. That guy went bankrupt the next year. Then he began working for other big landscaping companies off and on but that never panned out either. I lost contact but I'd bet he's totally out of the game now. He was down and out last I knew.

VERY FEW can survive on JUST installs, etc. It's not dependable. Maintenance is the mainstay of this business. All of the rest is just icing.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Jim you make too much sense for me to even try to add

troblandscape is kinda OK in saying there is NO $$ in cutting lawns .... if that's all one did

the $$ is in maintanence .... the ability to keep workers busy .... anyways Jim said it all

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No Money?

Let's see... I have a home, money for retirement, both of my childrens college education (tuition and dormitory) was paid for before they entered the first grade (one is now 15 the other 11), I am not hungry, and my family and I are happy.

I ask you what the H3LL more can I want.

I enjoy my job, the people I meet, and my time off during the winter. I can not and do not ask for more. Well maybe Britney Spears just once!:D :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I am a solo with a part time helper and I want to steer the business towards mowing. I am making a decent wage mowing and still paying taxes and insurance and all the other goodies that go along with a legit business. I have been turning away hardscape work because I want to stay on maintenance.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.