No license needed for applying Roundup

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Seth Rambo, Oct 20, 2019.


Do you need a license to apply non-RUPs to a customers property?

  1. Yes

  2. No

  3. Depends on the state

  1. Seth Rambo

    Seth Rambo LawnSite Member
    Messages: 1

    There seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether or not you can apply Roundup to a part of a customers landscape without obtaining a pesticide applicators license.

    These restrictive laws, on a national level, and in some states ( in my case PA), solely apply to RUPs (Restricted Use Pesticides).

    I believe the claims that a license is needed are false. There won’t be any legal problems as long as you are using the round up as directed, outlined on the label. Fell free to share proof and any applicable laws stating otherwise.

    The EPA’s law on RUPs:

    I’m located in Pennsylvania and here’s the official link to the pesticide application laws for PA:
  2. ArTurf

    ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark
    Messages: 6,441

    In most states licensing is required though it varies from state to state. I think you may be interpreting what you are reading wrong which is easy to do. The 1st section of the link you provided that refers to as "private" probably refers to use on one's own property. If I were you I'd contact them directly and speak to someone in the proper department.

    I encourage you to truly learn the proper use of pesticides and not just read a few things off the internet (or none at all) and go to spraying. Seems to me many in this industry take the low road, please don't be that guy.
    Burnie, That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  3. Yatt

    Yatt LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 293

    I don't know the laws of other states. In Wisconsin, the operant words are "applicator for hire". A license is required for RUP and non RUP if one is doing it for hire.

    Commercial pesticide applicators are:
    • For-hire applicators who are owners or employees who apply pesticides for pesticide application businesses

    • Not-for-hire owners or employees who apply non-agricultural pesticides to their own land or buildings
    Burnie, That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  4. rippinryno

    rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,029

    The OP is incorrect and should be encouraged to do research rather than question the fact that in majority, if not all states a license is required for RUP and non RuP.
  5. GrassManKzoo

    GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI
    Messages: 4,950

    Mark Oomkes, Andrew H, Burnie and 2 others like this.
  6. agrostis

    agrostis LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,075

    What are you, some kind of troll ? Because that is a highly ignorant and totally false statement. Did you really think that anyone would fall for your lies ? Must be a slow day wherever your at.
  7. BigJlittleC

    BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago
    Messages: 7,064

    Here is some local info for you.

    From link:

    In Pennsylvania, anyone making pesticide applications to land that they (or their employer) do not own or lease is required to have at least one Certified Pesticide Applicator for each business address and name from which they operate. The Pesticide Applicator must be certified in the categories for the crops and use sites for which they will be making applications. These businesses or public entities will also require a business license through the PDA. Each business name and location requires a separate Business License and BU (Business Unit) Number.
  8. That Guy Gary

    That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,304

    Idaho is the only state I'm aware of that will allow any spraying of pesticides without a license.

    The difference between over the counter stuff and RUP is that only a licensed applicator can purchase or apply an RUP, regardless of the intended use or site, period.
  9. TurfWerks

    TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 341

    All states to my knowledge require licensing to apply any herbicide/pesticide to a customers lawn that is not your own. No mater if you charge or not. Fertilizers I understand vary from state to state.
  10. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 16,321

    It is actually Federal government law--mainly enforced by the states.
    If it is not your property--license needed.
    I have heard some states take a more relaxed view if--it is a pre-mixed ready to use product, such as a squirt bottle. This reduces the risk of an incompetent person mixing something wrong.
    Of course, using the wrong product by a stupid person is not prevented. For example Roundup for dandelions.
    These laws were passed by congress after several unfortunate incidents and widespread contamination in the late 1960s. Spraying whole counties for mosquitoes with DDT was common in some states.

    About this time DDT was first detected in mother's milk.

Share This Page