Lawn Care Forum banner

Do you need a license to apply non-RUPs to a customers property?

No license needed for applying Roundup

10K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Marine03112 
#1 ·
There seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether or not you can apply Roundup to a part of a customers landscape without obtaining a pesticide applicators license.

These restrictive laws, on a national level, and in some states ( in my case PA), solely apply to RUPs (Restricted Use Pesticides).

I believe the claims that a license is needed are false. There won't be any legal problems as long as you are using the round up as directed, outlined on the label. Fell free to share proof and any applicable laws stating otherwise.

The EPA's law on RUPs:
https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-worker-safety/how-get-certified-pesticide-applicator#Who

I'm located in Pennsylvania and here's the official link to the pesticide application laws for PA:
https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Plan...ide-programs/PesticideCART/Pages/default.aspx

#2 ·
In most states licensing is required though it varies from state to state. I think you may be interpreting what you are reading wrong which is easy to do. The 1st section of the link you provided that refers to as "private" probably refers to use on one's own property. If I were you I'd contact them directly and speak to someone in the proper department.

I encourage you to truly learn the proper use of pesticides and not just read a few things off the internet (or none at all) and go to spraying. Seems to me many in this industry take the low road, please don't be that guy.

#3 ·
I don't know the laws of other states. In Wisconsin, the operant words are "applicator for hire". A license is required for RUP and non RUP if one is doing it for hire.

Commercial pesticide applicators are:
  • For-hire applicators who are owners or employees who apply pesticides for pesticide application businesses
  • Not-for-hire owners or employees who apply non-agricultural pesticides to their own land or buildings

#7 ·
Here is some local info for you.

https://extension.psu.edu/which-pesticide-license-does-your-business-need

From link:

In Pennsylvania, anyone making pesticide applications to land that they (or their employer) do not own or lease is required to have at least one Certified Pesticide Applicator for each business address and name from which they operate. The Pesticide Applicator must be certified in the categories for the crops and use sites for which they will be making applications. These businesses or public entities will also require a business license through the PDA. Each business name and location requires a separate Business License and BU (Business Unit) Number.

#10 ·
It is actually Federal government law--mainly enforced by the states.
If it is not your property--license needed.
I have heard some states take a more relaxed view if--it is a pre-mixed ready to use product, such as a squirt bottle. This reduces the risk of an incompetent person mixing something wrong.
Of course, using the wrong product by a stupid person is not prevented. For example Roundup for dandelions.
These laws were passed by congress after several unfortunate incidents and widespread contamination in the late 1960s. Spraying whole counties for mosquitoes with DDT was common in some states.

About this time DDT was first detected in mother's milk.

#11 ·
Excerpt from most recent NC pesticide board meeting. They used to publish how much the fines were.

The final portion of the meeting was dedicated to settle agreements. The first two cases dealt with pesticide drift. In both cases, the defendant applied a pesticide that drifted onto a neighboring yard, killing the vegetation. The final two cases illustrated a broken system. More specifically, it was discovered that a small pesticide business was operating for the past two years without the proper licenses to do so. This case revealed the need for an improved system that effectively tracks and monitors expiration dates for pesticide licenses.

#13 ·
Which Pesticide License Does Your Business Need?
https://extension.psu.edu/which-pesticide-license-does-your-business-need

Commercial or Public Pesticide Applicator License Required
In Pennsylvania, anyone making pesticide applications to land that they (or their employer) do not own or lease is required to have at least one Certified Pesticide Applicator for each business address and name from which they operate.
The Pesticide Applicator must be certified in the categories for the crops and use sites for which they will be making applications. These businesses or public entities will also require a business license through the PDA.

Reactions: phasthound
#26 ·
Okay the problem in Pa is in the eyes of the enforcer. Each regional office decides what they will enforce and when. The offices in the north part of the state tend to be lax towards individuals and more stringent toward corporate or large operations. In the scheme of things they spend their time answering written complaints and it is only bad luck that you encounter them on a spot inspection

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.