1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

No License To Spread Granular?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. GravelyGuy

    GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 2,548

    I just got off of the phone with Mike, the state chemist. He told me that it is completely legal to spread granular fert. He said I only need a license to apply the liquid stuff. Over the past few years, I have lost a ton of business because I always thought that you had to be licensed. Anyways, is the liquid stuff cheaper or easier to deal with? The license is only $100 a year, no training required. Also, after material etc. What do you guys charge per 1,000 square feet? I have an idea of what TruGreen charges because they apply for most of my mowing customers. I picked up several accounts thanks to TruGreen so I hate to steal there business, but I feel that I should provide both services for my customers.


    BTW, he said the pesticide license was more complicated and required training. Does this apply to the granular or does it matter?
  2. dcgreenspro

    dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA
    Messages: 688

    gravelyguy, spreading liquid is going to be harder than granular. still, you are oging to have to have an idea what a property needs and wants through the year. When you started losing business sending fert apps towards true green, why didn't you try and get your license than? I believe when you start to learn this process, you will find that you can do better than true green.jmo
  3. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,641

    You generally don't need to be licensed to apply a fertilizer be it liquid of granular. I know some states differ from this but this is generally the rule.

    You DO need to be licensed to apply any type of pesticide whether it is attached to a granular or not.

    Do not confuse his comment about being able to apply a granular fertilizer and being able to apply a combination product.
  4. GravelyGuy

    GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 2,548

    Do you guys find that you need to apply pesticides frequently?(I obviously need training) From the sounds of things, this license does not sound easy to get.

    Any tips on pricing? I did my first estimate the other day. The yard was a maze of shapes, but I finally got it measured. Close to 6,000 square feet. She wants a 4-5 times a year program. Thanks a lot.
  5. lilmarvin4064

    lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 757

    It would be a really good idea to get licensed for pesticides. Most of your spring applications would need some pesticides, if you want your lawns to look good. You will have to be licensed to apply herbicides; pre-emergents for crabgrass, and post-emergents for broadleaf weeds (clover, dandelion, chickweed, etc.) These services are what your customers probably expect.
  6. Rcgm

    Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 326

    In Indiana you do not need a license to apply granular fertilzer on your own yard.But if you are doing it for money you do need a license.This subject has so many grey areas.You will have to apply liquid herbecide to control weeds that requires a license.So it all boils down to you need a license in Indiana to do this.Don't try to figure the grey areas out it will come back to bite you.Say you treat a 1 acre yard and you don't know what you are doing you kill the whole yard.Ouch you know how much to fix it?I will tell you Alot.You can't even get insurance to cover you for this in Indiana with out a license they require your license number.

  7. Hissing Cobra

    Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 705

    As stated by sod king, a license is not really needed to apply fertilizer or even limestone. However, if you use a combination product such as Fertilizer + Dimension, Fertilizer + PreM, Fertilizer + Merit or even granular Weed & Feed products, you will need a license. Also, if you're spraying herbicides to kill weeds, you'll need a license. Of course, there's many people out there who break the laws and if they get caught, heavy fines can be levied.

    There's a LOT that an applicator must need to know! Everything from putting a sign on the property (required if a pesticide/herbicide/insecticide is applied), to figuring out the proper amounts of product to mix with water, to when to apply the products. Educating yourself is the main "ingredient" to being successful and more importantly, profitable.

    It is in every applicator's best interest to get the license and read all of the labels of the products that you use. The more knowledge, the better. It'll separate you from the "run of the mill" type of companies and give your company more respect within the industry.

Share This Page