No other services? No thanks.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by _LawnmowerMan, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

bingo.
    the guys I network with don't own any mowing equipment and have zero interest in ever mowing-I'm a go to guy for them in the mowing dept. and they know my work. win-win.
    also helps that they all do some real quality work on the landscape/hardscape side, a big plus as well.

zlandman and Jeff@diyokc like this.
  2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing really is the lowest profit part of my business.

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here - and It's all I do.

:laugh:

Really though, it's true, but as a solo guy, there's only so many hours in a day, and I've learned to limit what I offer to things I can do consistently and on schedule.

I mow, I trim shrubs/hedges, and I do SMALL leaf cleanups - nothing else.
    I realize that mulching flowerbeds is much more profitable than mowing grass, but I've just had so many problems getting it done, that I only do it for a select few people now.

Chemical apps? No way - too many scheduling issues. Gotta time it with the rain, when you mow, the phase of the moon, the time of day... WAY too many things to deal with. They can call someone else to fertilize.

Snow removal? LOL! Tried that. Besides the fact that we get snow worth clearing about 7 days out of the whole winter, it's not worth doing.

Big leaf cleanups? Not even worth it unless you have the proper setup - and I don't. Instead, what I do is convince most people to allow me to continue mowing - that way, they get the lawn mowed and leaves mulched up at no extra cost. (unless it's warranted)
    Could I make more money doing a leaf cleanup? Sure, but it takes me more time/effort than it's worth, so at least this way, I still have steady income through Thanksgiving or beyond. If not for talking them into doing it my way, they would have had me stop mowing LONG before that.

I'm obviously not raking in money by just mowing and hedge trimming, but it is what it is.
    Do more - earn more. Do less - earn less. Not really that complicated.

4. JFGLN

Do less - Earn more!

OakNut and hort101 like this.
  5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahhhh, yes... the American dream. LOL

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

well, if those are the mowers you use in your avatar, I can see why! LOL

7. JFGLN

Well, I use mowers that are appropriate for the size of lawns we take care of. We also have a couple of Exmark 30". If I could get away with it I wouldn't do any mowing. Other services we offer are much more profitable.

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I did "mow only" when I started. Many customers will choose another provider if you go that route. But if that is all you want to do, that is fine. Just expect it to take a little longer to get a full schedule.

If you can find a local company that does landscape construction but not mowing, just refer customers to them for the other stuff.

As far as other services that have a lot of demand, plowing and fall cleanups are very high demand in New England.

hort101 likes this.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's true most bigger landscape companies around here do very little mowing. they have enough employees to tackle the big landscape/hardscape jobs. a solo guy is better suited to mowing and small jobs. if you are mowing all the time you don't have 3 days to go spend doing a landscape job or a week or more doing a hardscape job.

Doc8406, sjessen and JFGLN like this.
  10. JackMcCartin

JackMcCartin LawnSite Member

I started out doing just mowing. If you go that route stick away from many biweekly accounts, people that do that are usually cheap and are not worth the money or headaches.