No response from client for 6 months, now expects service to be completed that grass is 2 ft long.

What would you do

• Cut Them Loose

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • Work Them In

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
OLandL

OLandL

LawnSite Member
Yep. Do this!

I had a commercial acct act very similar to what the OP is experiencing. All was good in February, started cutting 1st week of April. They call the 2nd week in April to let me know they had contracted someone else for this year(news to me). So I said ok, took them off the schedule and went on about my day. 2 days later she call me again, well their “new guy” fell through and wanted to know if I could pick them back up. I said absolutely but the rate has increased. She asks how much, I reply - $40 per service. Never heard from them again(so far anyway). I have 0 patience for shady bs games.

I agree, the thing that really grinds my gears is that in the clients eyes, an email saying they accept the quote on October 26th, is the same thing as the signed contract which sent on October 30th(which was never signed!) The other thing that blows me away is what people will say via text or email, but would never say in person.

JMK26

LawnSite Fanatic
I wouldn't do it.

They dropped the ball.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you say you have room on your schedule, but it would be a burden on your current guys until you hire more guys. To me that means you don't have room on the schedule. Plus it's still spring....calls are rolling in here. Plenty of time to fill up that schedule.

I wouldn't go through all that for someone that didn't sign a contract and thinks the email was enough. These people are not going to pay....they never answer emails, you're not going to get paid or get paid late and take a hit...

Plus it's 2 feet tall...that in itself speaks volume of the type of people you're dealing with. I have never head of a school letting grass get that out of hand.

This whole scenario is a big red flag flappin in the wind above a guy dressed in a red outfit jumping up and down with two more red flags waving in his hands.

Grant11

LawnSite Senior Member
I wouldn't be doing work for that customer.

In my experience this will not be the last of your problems with that customer

OP
OLandL

OLandL

LawnSite Member
I wouldn't do it.

They dropped the ball.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you say you have room on your schedule, but it would be a burden on your current guys until you hire more guys. To me that means you don't have room on the schedule. Plus it's still spring....calls are rolling in here. Plenty of time to fill up that schedule.

I wouldn't go through all that for someone that didn't sign a contract and thinks the email was enough. These people are not going to pay....they never answer emails, you're not going to get paid or get paid late and take a hit...

Plus it's 2 feet tall...that in itself speaks volume of the type of people you're dealing with. I have never head of a school letting grass get that out of hand.

This whole scenario is a big red flag flappin in the wind above a guy dressed in a red outfit jumping up and down with two more red flags waving in his hands.

I do not want to enter in to business with these people, however the task at hand is saving face while breaking up with a problem client. I have just sent a newly prepared estimate and contract and increased the price substantially, If they accept then the increase in price will negate the headache that comes along with it. If they do not accept and leave some negative reviews on our sites i have all the ammo i need to defend our business.

OP
OLandL

OLandL

LawnSite Member
I do not want to enter in to business with these people, however the task at hand is saving face while breaking up with a problem client. I have just sent a newly prepared estimate and contract and increased the price substantially, If they accept then the increase in price will negate the headache that comes along with it. If they do not accept and leave some negative reviews on our sites i have all the ammo i need to defend our business.

Or the increase in price will not negate the headache and i regret my decision. however i can sleep at night with my choice if thats the case!

JMK26

LawnSite Fanatic

I understand that, but bad reviews aren't that big of a deal and the chance a school will write a bad review are pretty insignificant.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. It shouldn't even be a blip on your radar screen. Too many people worry about that bad review that will never come.

Client wouldn't pick up dog poop. Told client it will need to be picked up or service won't happen. Didn't do it. I left without service and dropped them....I was even threatened with a bad review in texts multiple times. I replied once saying "sir, that is your right as a consumer, but you will need to get a new lawn service." Kept getting threats of bad review, it never happened.

I do have a bad review, I answered it politely. I occasionally get a call and the potential client brings up the bad review and it turns out the bad review is actually a good review in a lot of people's eyes.

You're letting the risk of a bad review (from someone that hasn't even threatened to give one) hold you hostage in this situation. If you have such a great reputation that one bad review won't do a thing to tarnish your reputation.

If you're gong through with it, which you really shouldn't, you need to raise the price twice what you quoted them before and half the NET on collecting it. Nothing less. A few bucks per service isn't going to cover your headaches. Especially when they don't pay.

Delmarva Keith

LawnSite Senior Member
Whatever else you do, I would try to the extent possible to resolve why they say they responded but you didn’t get the response. They might be telling lies or there might be some problem with your communications setup, how email addresses and phone numbers are recorded, spam filters, whatever. Aside from them, make sure other customers and prospects are receiving your communications and you are receiving from all customers and prospects. If it turns out best you can figure they are telling lies, you already know what to do as far as them.

Top Forums