No Spark On Yamaha

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV' started by Tommy Kite, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Tommy Kite

Tommy Kite LawnSite Member

I have a Yamaha Warrior 350XJ 1997 Model and it was given to me with no spark. I corrected some defects in the wire harness and bought a new solenoid and relays. I ordered a new rectifier because I have no spark with it plugged in but I have spark when I unplug it. I was told by the previous owner that they had no spark out of nowhere and replaced the stator. If this does not recover spark I will take a look at the stator. I tested it previously and the readings I got were a off from what I saw on another forum but I also saw that the regulator rectifer does not have any affect on the condition of a spark but a stator could. I am not sure but I would like some answers as to why I get spark with the regulator unplugged please. I will post updates when I get it on Saturday or monday.

2. jchurch75

jchurch75 LawnSite Member

Deffinately sounds like your stator. I'm sure I'm late, just thought I'd chime in.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Tommy Kite

I bought a used stator but the screws stripped out in the holes holding the old one in. Been too lazy to mess with it. I will do it eventually.

4. OP
    OP
    Tommy Kite

Replaced it and I still have a no spark condition. Loosing hope here

5. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Verify that your regulator is grounded sufficiently.
    I could not find a diagram for a 350XJ but I did find one for a Warrior 350 here https://wellread.me/yamaha-350-warrior-wiring-diagram.html. I am not sure if your schematic is the same.
    I would recheck your stator readings per a factory manual. I would also check the resistance of the source coil and pickup coil from a factory manual. The circuitry within the regulator could be causing an issue with one of the coils making the pickup coil unable to induce a signal. Study the schematic, you will see what I am referring to.

6. OP
    OP
    Tommy Kite

I have a factory service manual and I went through the procedure for testing no spark but it keeps referring to a connector on the main harness I do not have or cannot find. And my multimeter took a ****.

7. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the schematic. It will show you the connectors and the associated color coded wires. Maybe that can narrow it down for you