1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

no threads in Kohler SV470 engine mount holes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by redeye1964, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Same with a new untapped spindle housing?

2. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

You think it's an expensive PITA to do that on a lawn mower? I snapped one off in the cylinder head of my dirt bike...

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally, I always tap them spindle holes. On thru- holes ( as opposed to blind holes) I use a two flute gun tap (designed for aluminum) in my cordless drill, makes quick work of it, and less chance of breaking a tap.
    But as you saw, any tap will work, as long as you take yer time.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You mean the cylinder head on your dirt bike wasn't already tapped and you were tapping it with a self tapping screw ???

5. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

Actually, the tapping itself went smoothly (not with a screw). Looking back at it, a bolt snapped in the cylinder head (previous owner liked to over tighten things) and I went to get it out with and EZ out which broke in the bolt, in the outer cylinder wall that the head bolts go into. I then had the honor of drilling all that mess out, getting it filled, and then rethreading it.

I misread thinking his tap broke which made me think EZ out for some reason (it's been a long week).