• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

NOFA's Handbook

ParadiseLS

LawnSite Member
I have the NOFA "Standards for Organic Land Care" booklet (free pdf from website). I was wondering from anyone who has taken the course or bought the "Lawn and Turf Handbook" what differences there are from the booklet? The "Standards" booklet is only 50 pages or so (plus appendix), versus the 104 pages the "Handbook" is supposed to be, and it doesn't go into great detail about the soil chemistry, just basic info that most of us would know without the booklet anyways. But is the "Handbook" actually 104 pages of content (not half-content, half-appendix)? And does it get right into detailed explanations of the science behind organic lawn and turf care?

And is there anywhere to get it as a PDF file online? At NOFA it is available to purchase and have shipped only....

Comfylawn

LawnSite Member
“Land Care” is everything from lawns to rain gardens and everything else in between. The Handbook is exclusively, organic lawn care, from soil, athletic turf to running a business. Does it get detailed with regards to soil chemistry? No. It’s only 100 pages. I took the course this past January and thought it was great. Though I didn’t feel as if I learned any thing new with regards to soil or its biology. The NOFA summer course based on the book is just a broad understanding of the science and would be great for a someone entering the field.

Keegan

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with what Comfy said. The "Standards" book is different from the Lawn handbook.

I took the class about 6 years ago and I would recommend it.

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
I agree with what Comfy said. The "Standards" book is different from the Lawn handbook.

I took the class about 6 years ago and I would recommend it.
which one, the book, manual or the classes
I say all three

if its for free its for me

Keegan

LawnSite Senior Member
Bill I have both books and took the class. I had to pay for the Standards when I got it years ago.

OP
P

ParadiseLS

LawnSite Member
Thanks. I think you've helped me decide not to get the Handbook then. I've already got a broad understanding, and was hoping this was going to get a little more advanced. For $25 + S&H I think I can find something that will suit my needs better at amazon.

Keegan

LawnSite Senior Member
If you're looking for more scientific stuff check out Paul Sachs's books. Some of it goes over my head.