• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

noisey brakes

turfguy

LawnSite Member
ON OUR NEW 52 SCAG WE HAVE FOUND THE BRAKES TO BE VERY NOISY ....THEY SQUEAL LIKE CRAZY WHEN THEY WARM UP...I HAVE ADJUSTED THEM BUT NO HELP...ANY THOUGHTS

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
Originally posted by turfguy
ON OUR NEW 52 SCAG WE HAVE FOUND THE BRAKES TO BE VERY NOISY ....THEY SQUEAL LIKE CRAZY WHEN THEY WARM UP...I HAVE ADJUSTED THEM BUT NO HELP...ANY THOUGHTS
Do you mean when the temperature gets warm? It sounds like they are dragging. Can you explain this more?

OP
T

turfguy

LawnSite Member
THE MORE I USE THEM ON A STEEP INCLINE THE WORSE OFF THEY GET. WHEN I AM WORKING A FLAT COUPLE ACRES THEY SEEM OK.BUT AS SOONAS I WARM UP THE BANDS ,ON A HILLSIDE OR DOWN A LONG DRIVEWAY THEY SQUEAL LIKE CRAZY

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
I guess you must mean on a W/B mower. Duh, I was thinking of a ZTR. I guess since I only use ZTR's, I figure everyone does. :) My mistake.

TLS

LawnSite Fanatic
My '95 48" Belt drive SCAG does the exact same thing. It did it since new and it is very annoying. I only use it maybe 2 hrs a week, so I just ignore it. I think its the brake bands, they may have a few metal chips in them. Let me know what you find out. I've never changed my brakes, but I'll bet thats what it is.

geogunn

LawnSite Gold Member
my lesco probably has the same brakes as your skag. my old lesco doesn't squeal at all. is your skag new? perhaps they just need "wearing in". HTH

GEO

opps. re-read your post. you said it was new. give 'em a chance to wear in. good luck.

GEO...again

[Edited by geogunn on 10-27-2000 at 04:25 AM]