Non Contact Voltage detector and single strand wire

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Central Irrigation, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Central Irrigation

Central Irrigation LawnSite Member

Anybody found/used an NCV detector to locate which single strand wire is the one you're looking for? Good in theory, bad in practice?

I see Klein makes one that will locate down to 12V AC.

1idejim likes this.
  2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

They do work well when using a locator transmitter as your power source.

3. Smokindog

Smokindog LawnSite Senior Member

4. benhargreaves

benhargreaves LawnSite Member

I use a NCV tester that Sperry makes. I generally use it for quick field testing to isolate a wire I need using the controller as a power source. The above method can be a bit imprecise but can be useful in initial diagnosis and testing.

When I need to be certain on isolating a wire, I will either use my Greenlee (now "Tempo") Station Master 24BK or use a locator with my NVC tester (as Jim mentioned). Which method usually depends on if I already have the locator hooked up or not.

5. OP
    OP
    Central Irrigation

Central Irrigation LawnSite Member

How imprecise are we talking? Would I need and inch or more separation among the individual wires using an Eicon and NCV?

Or would I be better served to purchase the other half of the Armada Valve Actuator?

Just not sure how much separation of the wires is required to "say with certainty" that I have isolated the right wire. A bundle of 39 wires 2' down doesn't give much wiggle room. So, whichever is the most accurate is the way I'd go.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You can hold a toner in one hand (away from the wires and touch the individual wires with your other hand, the body acts as a filter and you don’t need a lot of separation.

It’s a great technique I learned from telephone guys 20 odd years back.

Outlawn and Sprinkus like this.