Non Contact Voltage detector and single strand wire

benhargreaves

LawnSite Member
I use a NCV tester that Sperry makes. I generally use it for quick field testing to isolate a wire I need using the controller as a power source. The above method can be a bit imprecise but can be useful in initial diagnosis and testing.

When I need to be certain on isolating a wire, I will either use my Greenlee (now "Tempo") Station Master 24BK or use a locator with my NVC tester (as Jim mentioned). Which method usually depends on if I already have the locator hooked up or not.

OP
C

Central Irrigation

LawnSite Member
How imprecise are we talking? Would I need and inch or more separation among the individual wires using an Eicon and NCV?

Or would I be better served to purchase the other half of the Armada Valve Actuator?

Just not sure how much separation of the wires is required to "say with certainty" that I have isolated the right wire. A bundle of 39 wires 2' down doesn't give much wiggle room. So, whichever is the most accurate is the way I'd go.

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
How imprecise are we talking? Would I need and inch or more separation among the individual wires using an Eicon and NCV?

Or would I be better served to purchase the other half of the Armada Valve Actuator?

Just not sure how much separation of the wires is required to "say with certainty" that I have isolated the right wire. A bundle of 39 wires 2' down doesn't give much wiggle room. So, whichever is the most accurate is the way I'd go.
You can hold a toner in one hand (away from the wires and touch the individual wires with your other hand, the body acts as a filter and you don’t need a lot of separation.

It’s a great technique I learned from telephone guys 20 odd years back.