1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Non rotating PGPs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Sep 12, 2017.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

let me start by saying I rarely use PGPs but use them on low flow systems because of the small nozzles. So we did an install and installed many of the heads with the smallest nozzles due to the well drawing down. This job was finished 2 weeks ago and have been back 3 times for heads not rotating. We have changed out 6-7 already. I have noticed with the tiny nozzles the heads turn very slowly to begin with. Do you think there is any correlation or just bad batch of heads?

2. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

Sorry you're having trouble.
    Static water pressure?
    Dynamic water pressure?
    Which nozzle are you using?
    How many heads on that lateral?
    Mainline and lateral size?
    And my favorite.....can you push the turret(s) down easily with 1 finger? 2 fingers? Or it takes all of your weight with the palm of your hand to compress the turret back into the case?

Also, check the filter screen(s) for any debris. Sorry to sound like a factory guy but we've sold a few of these and they usually (99.999%) rotate just fine. Something is going on. We'll figure it out. Appreciate the post. Thanks!

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

By the way, I remember that the very original rotors that are now the PGP heads had nozzle performance numbers provided for pressures as low as 20 psi, so I have to wonder, did anyone ever design for those pressures? I didn't.

As for the #1 and #2 PGP nozzles, I just assumed that it was a given that these would always provide for a greater fail rate on the heads they were installed in, which is why they were left out of the I20 nozzle set.

4. greenmonster304

-Well 30/50 switch
    -40 lbs dynamic
    -#1 #2 red
    -6-7 heads per zone
    -1" main and lateral
    -full hand to depress
    -main is filtered with 60 mesh vu flow filter

5. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

Perfect. Great info. And no reason why they won't rotate in my mind.
    In what city/state is the installation? If I have a field guy close I could dispatch him there. I know you need to move on, though.

Do you still have the heads that would not rotate?
    Did the new heads work?

Let me take a different tack and I don't mean to question your skills. Bear with me, please. Do the head rotate then STOP on one side? The PGP-ADJ does not have the same non-strippable drive as the PGP Ultra. I am wondering if during installation and trying to line up the RIGHT STOP if the turret was over-rotated and we broke the trip mechanism.

If you are not familiar with PGP-ADJ's, the "original" version, this can happen. Because of the infant mortality here with clean water, plenty of pressure, and a good design, I think that twisting the turrets broke something internally. I would be more than happy to get the original heads back and have Engineering take a look for you.

Again, sorry for the trouble and I hope I am not out of line. Some of the other PGP-ADJ users might corroborate my guess or just want to over-rotate my coconut. Let me know how I can further help, please.

Thanks!

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that man.

I think it sucks you have to design a system with 1's/ 2's pgp's.

In the least for all these call backs I think some HUNTER hoodies are in order for the boss and the crew.

Good luck.

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  7. greenmonster304

X2

8. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I can see it now.... Rod is going to change his signature to "Hunter (No Free Hoodies) TekGeek". Haha

9. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

Rod (No Free Hoodies) Waller - Technical Services & Non-Clothier Manager - Hunter Industries

1idejim likes this.
  10. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Rod, please, put some clothes on!

kawasaki guy likes this.