Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I have a new Everride Hornet /w 23HP Kawa. Took me awhile to get used to a ZTR but I still haven't mastered making turns while pointing downhill. The only way I can do it without sliding out of control is by stopping, going in reverse until the front caster do a 180, then easing up on reverse on the opposite lever on the side I want to turn. This can turf the grass at times.

What am I doing wrong or is this it? If I try to turn while going forward the unit just slides or drags the tire on the side I want to turn.

The slope is about 8-10 degrees. The hornet has 11 inch front casters and 23 x 10.5 rears.

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Grass Kings direction is exactly right. Then, there is no question of angle, the probability of slippage - which can be varied by many factors, like turf density, soil conditions, how wet the turf is, angle of slope, and many others. When you turn on a hill and allow the mowere to go down forward to the next row, you are inevitably doing skid damage, and increasing the potential of the mower gaining inertia to want to go down hill and out of control.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Right. Make your turns by first turning straight uphill. Then back down in reverse in a half circle so that you are facing the next row. I still start my rows at the top and work down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.