1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

North Texas seeded shady grass options?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Bluelude1, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

Did a major renovation on a section of yard last year including irrigation install and heavy tree trimming, but the area is still going to have quite a bit of shade. The yard is normally overseeded with rye in the fall and it just so happens that that is all that is in that section now.

With spring coming I trying to figure out what to put back there for the longer term and could use some advice.

The rest of the lawn is common bermuda that is overseeded with rye. I've heard that Zoysia is a decent shade grass option for bermuda lawns, but isn't likely to grow well from seed with the existing rye yet plugs are impractical for the ~10k sqft area.

Would it be better to go with a fescue/bluegrass blend or is there a better option (outside of sod...too expensive for the application)?

2. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I've seen some Zoysia survive shady conditions well, better than bermuda anyway, but its not from seed.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Solid sod it in St. Augustine. That only needs a little sun each day to do ok, if it is solid sod. It will not spread though with partial sun.

hort101 likes this.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sod with St Augustine ....

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

Please post pictures.

6. OP
    OP
    Bluelude1

I will post pictures tomorrow for context.

Two problems with St Augustine, it's too big of an area to sod from $$$/labor standpoint and the other part is it's in the corner of an L shaped section yard that gets overseed with rye every year.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Well, you can do it cheap, or you can do it correctly, but in this case you can not do both. Better just plant some type of spreading ground cover and forget the winter Rye planting.

8. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

St. Augustine is probably your only choice in zone 8a. I need to see pictures to be sure but i can tell you now that bare tree rings and groundcovers are the way to go in hot area's.

9. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

Fescue is a cool-season grass that is available in seed. It is the most shade tolerant but will burn in Texas summers if not in a lot of shade.

10. OP
    OP
    Bluelude1

This is the back corner I am talking about. Obviously it doesn't look too shady at the moment.

20200213_110808_HDR (2).jpg

Cmonstihl likes this.