1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

North Texas seeded shady grass options?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Bluelude1, Feb 12, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

Little better perspective from earlier in the year when the leaves started falling.

20191118_142520.jpg

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

You've got those tree's looking good. The grass and the trees will both be much healthier. In that situation sunlight penetration and air movement become important and limbing up tree's really helps with that.

Know that overseeded bermuda is already weak from competing with the rye.

That new wooden fence in the background will really hurt air movement and the grass needs that.

Did you know that a mature oak tree will absorb up to 600 gallons of water a day with its roots ? It's no wonder grass struggles so much under trees.

Know that once the tree's leaf out it's going to be shady until next Oct. The grass will thin out. You really can't stop that from happening.

You have raised the canopy height as much as possible and you could almost get away with leaving it alone but being in Dallas TX that grass is going to need some help.

Make 12-15 foot tree rings around every tree. Don't have anything growing in those rings. Use a flat spade to make your shallow edge. You have to maintain that edge at least once a year.

Mow only in the afternoon when its totally dry. It reduces stress on the grass. Set the HOC as high as possible. Try not to mow at all in the heat.

Water sparingly. The grass will be under severe stress. Too much water just makes it worse. the same goes for fertilizer inputs. Keep the Nitrogen low.

Those trees are big enough that you can maintain St. Aug. beneath them. Your just going to have to baby it during the summer. Good luck.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you can't afford to have st agustine down then bermuda seed in the summer after all the rye dies. It won't ever look very nice \.

4. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I think I would mulch and plant shade-loving flowers or plants in most of that area, or some other landscape feature.

Bermuda won't do great but I think it can survive in between some mulched areas based on just how much sun it gets and how good the soil is.

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

St Aug can fill in pretty quickly from plugs if done correctly, just saying

6. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

No more shade than I see... I'd try a new improved Bermuda variety. Such as latitude 36 or tahoma.... I personally seen the latitude survive literally almost 80%shade. Very little filtered light ! I would of said no way ,but it has....
    As for zoysia. it will take some shade as well but, there has been a nation wide shortage of seed..... I could not find it anywhere us wide for the last 8 months and its projected to last well into this season I'm told.. so good luck on seed...