Northeast PA thread

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by Pocono Designs, Dec 21, 2016.

1. NEPA Lawn

NEPA Lawn LawnSite Member

How do you like the cut of the v-ride? The dealer I was at had Ferris, Scag, bad boy, grasshopper, and exmark and was really confident about endorsing the cut quality and low maintenance of the radius x series. Was quoted 7800 out the door with mulch kit.

2. NEPA LAWNS

NEPA LAWNS LawnSite Member

The cut is great. It has the velocity deck, so it's the same as any other newer Scag. It stripes great and throws the grass pretty far so you don't get windrows

3. 97BlackDiesel

97BlackDiesel LawnSite Member

Where are the skooks at?

4. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

I'm not a Skook (live in Southern Lehigh), but I drink Guers Iced Tea when I can get it, I drink Schuylkill Punch (Yuengling), get Kielbasy from Kowalonek's in Shenandoah, and go fishing at Locust Lake or the Little Schuyllkill, if that counts for anything...

5. 97BlackDiesel

I live very close to both state parks.

6. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

That's a nice area up there. I always wondered how business would be in an area like that, with a lot of woods, or tight towns with lower incomes. I guess there are quite a few newer houses popping up along the back roads outside of Tamaqua and Ryan Twp.

7. 97BlackDiesel

Yeah pricing isn’t like the big cities but the market pays for quality work. We stay pretty busy with all the retirees and my largest mowing account is in Ryan twp.

TomH&H likes this.
  8. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

You can find some of the most successful business’s in the green industry in NEPA. Such as Grasshopper Lawns in Edwardsville and DBI in Hazelton

97BlackDiesel likes this.
  9. 97BlackDiesel

Yeah DBI is pretty big any idea how they started?

10. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

Like everyone else, hard work and a few lucky breaks. Neil DeAngelo was able to network with a lot of influential people when he was president of the Professional Lawn Care Association. He was able to learn from other people’s mistakes and grow the business rapidly. The lucky break was when they hired the most successful division manager at Chemlawn away from Servicemaster.