Northern Green, Jan 2019, anyone going?

Discussion in 'Trade Shows Forum' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Been a few years since I did this show, as I felt it in decline and far inferior to GIE. However did not get to GIE last fall, so going to give it another try. Anyone else out there going?

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Gie is the same old same old.
    If you took only the new stuff you could fit in into a high school gymnasium
    The rest of it all is “look at me I was here the last ten years!”

I think if you’re going for entertainment , go to gie
    If you’re going for the classes go to gie
    But if you’re going to actually have time to talk to reps of products you’re interested in, the smaller shows are more productive...
    example:
    If you want to talk to someone at LMN or hindsite at gie... forget about it.. they get your contact information and will call you after the show
    At far west (for example) you can talk to them for a solid hour no problem

It’s kinda like going to Disney land for Christmas and spending more time waiting in lines, or going to a local amusement park and spending more time on rides.

IMO that’s why the smaller shows still exist
    They present a different (and in my opinion) better value.
    IMO no going to northern green as some of the Canadian ones in BC or ones in Washington are closer to me.
    But if you’re over by New England , New England grows is a great one to go to and I always felt was better than gie

hort101 likes this.
  3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Might want to avoid going to New England grows. I think you’ll find it extremely lacking in.....anything.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

LOL they will probably sell you an $8 weiner and $10 beer for lunch though:)

5. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Last time I went was 2 years ago, the show gets smaller every year. There is still some show specials to be had but if you know the players you can call them and get the same deal. They don't do five dollar Friday any more and it will probably be atleast $50 to get through the door.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I kind of agree...I was seeing less and less vendors with the price of the show increasing. I paid $35 this year...shouldn't go but I have some equipment I want to see there this time.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Going tomorrow...anyone else?

8. TPendagast

Male

Prices aren’t that different at gie to be honest

At least in Canada the USD is worth 30% more...

9. TPendagast

Male

That’s probably due to the Internet

In the hay day of the shows they were the best way outside of trade magazines to get information

Most of that you can get on the Internet now

Thing for the shows is meeting direct with vendors you might do high volume with and networking

If you’re just wanting to buy one machine or something, it’s not worth it... but the shows were never designed with that in mind originally anyway.

Home and garden shows used to be the same way
    I could sell a lot by sacrificing a weekend sitting in a show booth.
    We don’t do those anymore
    People are running through looking for free gizmos to out in a free bag anymore
    No one goes there wanting to spend money
    It’s weekend entertainment anymore.

hort101 likes this.