1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Not AGAIN is it an inside job?

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by WJH1964, Sep 26, 2014.

1. WJH1964

WJH1964 LawnSite Member

In June 2013 after 21 months storing my equipment in the same place, thieves stole my trailer and everything inside from a Lake Worth storage lot, but left the Isuzu NPR. The trailer was recovered a few days later. The Boynton beach cops called me at 2 AM to say come and get it off the shoulder, or it will be impounded. My deductible was 500, so I had the hasps fixed and put it in another storage lot in a different town. The same people own the second lot, but has a nice electronic gate and I spoke to a renter storing a big boat who said it has been safe, save for his lower units being stolen a couple years ago. I financed and paid cash to replace the trailer and $20K of equipment. Did not have insurance on equipment. I value my clients and they trust me with their property, so I felt i could recover from the theft and put it all behind me.

Now September 26 I go to the facility and my 2013 trailer and 2002 Isuzu NPR are gone. I have an interview with insurance on Monday to start the claim processing. My wife has convinced me that it must be an inside job since I have the same 2 guys working for me since I bought the company. She figures they tell where my stuff is and their thieving acquaintances pay them for the score. I have a couple of big decisions to make this weekend, but am not sure about replacing my 2 guys. I have another place figured for storage, one with security monitoring. Insurance will pay as much as 5K for trailer and 10K for truck, but after the interview maybe they will offer much less, I am familiar with these interviews, but never had one myself.

I expect to lose all my equipment and the truck will probably be salvaged for aluminum and hydraulics. The trailer may turn up again, but probably more damage than last time since the walls are so thin on this one...

Also there is a maintenance worker who serves both facilities. If he started just before June last year, maybe he's a person of interest. I could ask the manager since we are often engaged in property issues, and I do his lawn.

I am still paying on a note for the last theft. About 11K to go. Now it looks like I need another 25K less what i get from insurance, figure 6K total believing the worst. I can still make a go of it with my Ford F350 Dually, but can't have another theft like this or it will be the end of me. I have a wife and kids and a mortgage for goodness sake!

Lessons? try to learn from history or be doomed to repeat it.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Just remember that posting information like this on a public forum allows the members as well as the theives to keep track of the latest information regarding the theft. I feel bad for your loss and your wife may be correct about her opinion. My only advise would be to stay on top of the investigation and make sure your efforts are coorinated with the insurance company and the police.
    easy-lift guy

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks, hope the stuff turns up. Next time you might get some equipment monitoring devices. They are fairly cheap now.

4. KODAKMOWING99

KODAKMOWING99 LawnSite Member

dang dude my worst nightmare, hope you get it figured out, have you run a back ground on your guys, I would.

5. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

What are equipment monitoring devices? Do you mean something like lojack or something else?

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

This guy in Europe put a tracker in his bike frame after his first bike got stolen. Found where the thief lived and everything for the second go around. They make them go get them.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

GPS\anti-theft devices are your friend.

If it's an inside job, catch them.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ever consider moving to a home you can work out of?

9. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Skip lojack takes to long to work. Plus local police units my not be equiped with the device. Seems like a inside job. Or who ever you bought the company from wants to restart with little overhead. (Takes your stuff to avoid buying new etc) if you can, hard wire a cell phone charger into your truck. Hidden. At the end of the day, weekend plug your phone in. Track it through your email down to the very minute. Also shows where it has been for the past 30 days. Wifes phone was stolen. Was able to trace it through gmail.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Unless your dealing with the amature hour, which I believe your not, Professional theives seek out and normally find and disable all counter measures especially the cell phone trick. Considering the age of this thread I would be very surprised if the Police have had any success locating or recovering any of the stolen items. Most of the time the smaller hand held items are fenced for drugs or to pay off debts and the larger items if still in the country, depending on condition end up out of town or out of the country shortly after the theft has occurred. It's not called organized crime for nothing.
    easy-lift guy