Not change hydro oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wildstarblazer, Feb 13, 2019 at 5:52 AM.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I was debating whether or not to change the hydro oil from my ferris stander. Last time I did , it started leaking from the the seals and I had to have both pumps repaired which took about 3 weeks and was under warranty. No warranty this time. So I'm thinking about leaving it in there till it dies . Has 800 hours. What do you think?

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I just keep my filters changed when it comes to hydros

3. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Unless there is contamination or it's burned I don't replace my fluid, only the filter. Fill the filter and then check the level afterwards.

4. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

If it doesn't smell burnt and is clean maybe I change my hydros gear boxes every winter try and syphon it out if you have room to get tube to bottom

hort101 likes this.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i change mine at 500hrs as recommended. if you remove the filters in a john deere or a scag cheetah all the oil comes out anyways. there's no way around it. :laugh:

so far i have 1400hrs on the deere hydros and they are still good. only have 800hrs on the cheetah and all is good.

the only bummer is it costs $100 every time you change the hydro fluid and filters.

Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  6. Koehn's Lawn Service

Yeh but that is good maintnence and cheaper than buying new hydros I change mine every winter in 30 years I've only ever replaced one set of hydros out of 5 walkers

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

There are exceptions to every rule but I have over 5000 hours on a Exmark lazer. Only changed the filter one time when it started leaking. That was after the 5000. Probably could use some new pumps. Think I got my monies worth:laugh:

hort101, Breezmeister and weeze like this.
  8. Koehn's Lawn Service

I would say you have got your moneys worth I need to rub on your head maybe I could get some of your luck on things lol

hort101, Charles and Walker56 like this.