Not keeping up with the joneses for 20 years has caught up..

rerod

LawnSite Member
Hello folks..

Ive never tried to keep up with the joneses, but my lawn looks like a renters lawn maybe because I am surrounded by renters after 20 years. You name it, its growing in there.. I dug up many thistles yesterday and noticed I have creeping charley as well. I don't want to fertilize because I like the fact I don't need to mow every weekend, but I have to regain control of my yard but don't want to have to kill my grass and start over with no mow grass seed. But in hind site, should have done that 20 years ago.

Can anyone recommend a granular weed killer without fertilizer I could use next spring? And once the weeds and thistles are gone can I spread no mow grass seed every spring and hope it takes over?

Thanks!

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Use a granular pre emergent like pendulum or barricade. Then when growth starts spray it at about 40 oz per acre with podium growth regulator every 30 days. You might need to mow it 2 or 3 times that year

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Hello folks..

Ive never tried to keep up with the joneses, but my lawn looks like a renters lawn maybe because I am surrounded by renters after 20 years. You name it, its growing in there.. I dug up many thistles yesterday and noticed I have creeping charley as well. I don't want to fertilize because I like the fact I don't need to mow every weekend, but I have to regain control of my yard but don't want to have to kill my grass and start over with no mow grass seed. But in hind site, should have done that 20 years ago.

Can anyone recommend a granular weed killer without fertilizer I could use next spring? And once the weeds and thistles are gone can I spread no mow grass seed every spring and hope it takes over?

Thanks!
I suggest you read the directions on the no mow grass. You've made 2 suggestions that are contradictory to their recommendations.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I had to look up no mow grass. Surprised it reads ok for zone 7 even though I will call bs on that. It would do the same as all other fescues do come about July through mid October... Die or go dormant. So yes I guess it would be technically a "no mow grass" because it would be brown and not growing.

OP
R

rerod

LawnSite Member
Use a granular pre emergent like pendulum or barricade. Then when growth starts spray it at about 40 oz per acre with podium growth regulator every 30 days. You might need to mow it 2 or 3 times that year

Thanks..
My properties are in 5a and 5b and I posted a link to no mow grass in my OP. Looks like the nod goes towards Barricade with its Prodiamine vs pendimethalin in Pendulum. But will using Barricade require me to mow more often? And I don't have a sprayer. Does a granular growth regulator work as well as podium growth regulator?

Neighbors yard.

IMG_1280.JPG

Top Forums