1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Not Relying on Air to Install Blades Anymore. Blade Flies Off.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Silver Member

Have always used air. Usually put on 10-20 blades per week. Must have gotten Sloppy because blade flew off almost took off guys foot.

He disengaged on driveway, blade was slowing then CLANG came flying out of rear of mower and whacked him in the foot.

Will be Torquing after air from now on AND instructing to wait until Blades stop spinning on turf. Doubtful blade would have bounced and shot out if on turf.

No he Will Not Sue. He's Fine, just Brusing. And No do not require Steel Toes. Too much Walking.

IMG_4677.JPG

2. LucysPa

LucysPa LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I ratted a spindle on a cub cadet once long ago by using air and having a blade come loose. Always used a tourqe wrech or at least a braker bar to crank em real hard since then.

Glad your guy didnt get cut!

3. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely you just forgot to tighten or didn't fully tighten the bolt? If you hold the impact on a spindle bolt for a couple seconds after it's tight (with a good 1/2 impact)... it ain't coming off on its own regardless of what the proper torque should be.... The direction the blades spin tightens the bolt anyway so even if it's not super tight it ain't going to back itself off under normal circumstances.

I did it one time myself, went to sharpen my blades after 5 days and one of the blade spindle bolts was backed off a turn or two. Weird thing is I didn't notice any cut problems and the blade could just spin freely on the spindle, explain that one to me?

Ridin' Green, Hawkshot99 and JLSLLC like this.
  4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch and that will wake you up, very thankful everything is ok

sjessen, oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  5. Turf Tracer

Usually hold air on for count of 5. Either got distracted and forgot or installed blade washer on top of blade.

Either way mandatory quick shot w/torque wrench from now on.

sjessen and Dawson like this.
  6. ZLCLawnCare

ZLCLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Mandatory steel boots should be in order too. Too much walking is a lame excuse IMO.

7. Turf Tracer

some these guys Walking behind mowers, trimmers or Blowers 6-8 hrs a day.

Lame or not, it's a Calculated Risk I'm prepared to take.

8. ZLCLawnCare

ZLCLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked twelve hour days in steel toe boots for years.... Did you really calculate the cost of higher insurance premiums, not having that employee for an extended period of time ect. Ect.....

Did your employees sign a document saying they will NOT sue you work preventable workplace injuries?

Not enforcing basic safety precautions for the sake of comfort (which is silly since there are plenty of comfortable options for safety footwear) is a huge liability for you and your company.

sehitchman likes this.
  9. Turf Tracer

Not interested. In over 30 years this First Foot Injury that could have been prevented by Steel Toe. And it was a Freak. Had he disengaged on turf, blade would likely not have shot out. Blade could just as easily bounced up and caught him in the shin.

They all got safety glasses both mesh glasses for humid days and lensed and hearing protection.

Good enough for Mow and Blow.

hort101 and Dawson like this.
  10. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

using the proper tool to put the blade on would have helped , on fine thread bolts that many useing a impact can stretch the threads and/or bottleneck the bolt and the nut can come loose or off ,Impacts are not a proper way to tighten a bolt , the units they use in industry are calibrated and controlled by computer to there limits , the ones uyou use in the shop you do not know if your exceeding the spec or not being near it , stretching out threads are worse than a under torqued nut , as the threads often fail under use then you have no clamping what so ever and it will come apart . a nut even with low torque values will often stay and the blade will slip .

in the shop when bolts go on we only use impacts to spin them in , then tighten by hand with a wrench , for blades and tires we always use a torque wrench to check them and then put a dot of paint on the bolt/nut interface to show it was torqued with a wrench . and always check spindle bolts for wear when you remove them ..

redmax fan likes this.