Not stolen but think i got scammed

fish999

LawnSite Member
So I go look at a 2014 vride at a guys house. Walk up to the mower it starts up nicely and i drive it around everything with the mower is working good.
I wait a couple of days to make an offer and we come to an agreement.
I set up a time to go pickup the mower for the next day. He says he can bring it to me if I wanted and I agree.
He brings the mower and unloads it and shuts the mower off. I later start the mower and park it by my garage.
I end up cutting my lawn and the mower is running and cutting great. I put the mower in neutral with the parking brake on and it shuts down.
I own another scag and never had this problem. I try a couple more times and the mower will not stay running. Then it would not start. Just the clicking noise. I fiddle with the pto and it starts to at least turn over.
So I put on a new pto switch. Start the mower and it runs for a second or two and shuts down. Now it won't start at all and just turns over.
Guess I should have just bought a new mower. Totally feeling like I've been scammed.

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
Vrides are notorious for the ground to come loose. There’s a nut tucked under/behind the starter the negative terminal attaches to that may seem tight, but I’d suggest taking it off and retightening. It creates many gremlins

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
You got served!! Bet that will be the last time you buy a used mower... Hopefully he didn’t know about it and intentionally not disclose it. Does seem a little suspicious he offered to drop it off, though. I’m always weary buying used equipment if it’s more than a couple hundred bucks. I got screwed on a mini skid steer once... I tracked the guy down and eventually got him to take it back.

Top Forums