Not sure how to bid this one?

kharrington

LawnSite Member
I have the chance to bid my first commercial job and I'm not sure how, due to the amount of driving time in between. The job consist of over 20 gas stations spread out in different directions. The furthest being 60 miles north and other 40 miles south, most are located centraly within 25 miles of me, should I include the milage or time driving in the bid?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

AzLawnMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Are they weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly? Very important questions. I just started 15 private gas stations and they are spread out across my area, very similar to your situation. 13 are monthly 2 are bi-weekly. Most are very easy and send only 2 guys. The rest I send a crew of 4. It's worth it for me cause all but 2 are monthly, I do 7 on one day, and the rest throughout the month when I am near them. So it's not costing anymore to do them because I am not making special trips. I say bid it like you want it, and take the money. If they turn out to be a hassle. Wait till something better comes around a hen drop them.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
K

kharrington

LawnSite Member
The furthest stations are bi-weekly and the weeklys are located fairly close on a tight route. I'm not currently running any routes north 60 and south 40 miles out so it will be a special. I plan to run one route myself and have a part-time partner run the oppisite dirrection.
Posted via Mobile Device

AzLawnMan

LawnSite Senior Member
So whats your time estimate at each station? Is one man gonna be able to do the work if they are clean-up's the first time? Is this all the work you currently may have or do you have other jobs? I think a one man operation is great but sometimes you tend to bite off more than you can chew. If your gonna take on that much work you better look into hiring a full time helper. IMHO

OP
K

kharrington

LawnSite Member
I'm planning to clean up all the stations myself with a helper the first time, then split the route. I figure each station should average 30-40 minutes busting it once there. Yes I mow residential as well but I keep a tight route close. Yes I could be bitting off a lot considering I also work 40 a week elsewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

AzLawnMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Well I have been known to bite off a little too much myself, especialy lately. But I also dont work full time else where as well. My only concern is if your not able to give these jobs your full attention and if something goes wrong because your attention is elsewhere you may leave a bad taste is the clients mouth for future work. Its either landscaping full time, or only take enough work that you have no concerns about wether you can do it or not. Where are you located?

OP
K

kharrington

LawnSite Member
I have had some concerns about it. I have just had so many chances lately to bid on big commercial jobs for people I know since I have started in the business; schools,state and privately owned business. Guess I'm kinda at the crossroads. I live in central Arkansas.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums