1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure what to do??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by spray-head-dave, Apr 21, 2006.

1. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

I get a call, the fellow wants to water the other side of his house; The current system has 5 zones ( 2 lawn areas with 4 toro rotors and 2 shrub areas). The rotors are throwing about 1/2 of what they should; I checked the static presssure after the RPz and it's 45 psi. The current system is connected into a old hose bib; 1/2 pipe then increased to 3/4 where the contractor started the install. The other side of the house would need about 9 rotors spaced about 25 feet apart. Would a booster pump help? Should I avoid this addition? Install 3 zones to the 9 rotors (each about 2 gpm)? Would the booster increase the chance of water hammer? There is no regulator to increase. Mp rotators? thanks for any suggestions

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Forget the booster. First thing is to see if there is any way to plumb a larger line from the meter to the system.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think all the booster pump would do is suck the house dry.

I just did a install were the only available water source was through a hose bib (gotta love it when they concrete in the meter box and have a concrete over the entire water line....and the house was built on a slab, so no crawlspace to tap in either).

I had 50 psi dynamic pressure, I designed the system to use 8-10 gpm or less. 5 PGP's on the front yard zone, using 4 #4 nozzles and one #5 nozzle.

What sort of Toro rotors are in this yard? (700's, 300's streamrotors???) check their nozzles against a chart and find out how many GPM they are using. Since they aren't working, this gives you a starting point on zone sizing the addition.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I should clarify that by telling you about the system I just put in I was attempting to show that it is possible to create a working system with very limited water.

Did I understand correctly that the existing system has a 3/4" main line?

I'd try to tap as close to the water source as possible for your addition, and use a 1" line.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Probably if all you want to do is create a very large mister. Booster pumps will boost the pressure, NOT the amount of available water.