Not upgrading to a 2nd VII 61 inch

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Some of you know I traded my 61 Cheetah for a 61 VII. I also have a 2014 52 VI with the Kawi 730. It’s been perfect - literally. Regular maintenance and that’s it. Cuts beautifully. But after getting the 61 and realizing how much nicer the ride is, and the fact that all of my accounts would support another 61, I started looking. Then I found that most decent 61’s that are newer, are going for 8k and higher. Pretty sure I’d be around 3k for my current 52 which means I gotta pony up about 5K.

in trying to decide if 5k for a VII in a 61 inch deck was worth the investment I started thinking about how long I’ll have my “helper” cutting with me, and now I think a trade/upgrade is a bad move. He’s in his 2nd year of school. If all goes like it should, he’ll be done mowing in 3 years (maybe less if he gets an internship) and I’ll be on my own. His 52 would be my back up until he got his own place some day - and then I’ll give him that mower.

So ….. I’m thinking that 5k, for three years with a mower that is 11 inches wider, probably isn’t worth it, right?

Do you agree? Am I missing anything?

Equipment failure can happen at anytime IMO. At first I was thinking “the ‘14 is older and could start nickel and diming me” but really, maybe it won’t. Then I started thinking, “how dumb would it be to get rid of a mower that has been perfect because… well…. Later it might NOT be perfect?”

I feel like I should stop looking for that “killer deal” on another 61 VII because what I have now is still working pretty good.

Carolina Cuttin' Company

LawnSite Bronze Member
Some of you know I traded my 61 Cheetah for a 61 VII. I also have a 2014 52 VI with the Kawi 730. It’s been perfect - literally. Regular maintenance and that’s it. Cuts beautifully. But after getting the 61 and realizing how much nicer the ride is, and the fact that all of my accounts would support another 61, I started looking. Then I found that most decent 61’s that are newer, are going for 8k and higher. Pretty sure I’d be around 3k for my current 52 which means I gotta pony up about 5K.

in trying to decide if 5k for a VII in a 61 inch deck was worth the investment I started thinking about how long I’ll have my “helper” cutting with me, and now I think a trade/upgrade is a bad move. He’s in his 2nd year of school. If all goes like it should, he’ll be done mowing in 3 years (maybe less if he gets an internship) and I’ll be on my own. His 52 would be my back up until he got his own place some day - and then I’ll give him that mower.

So ….. I’m thinking that 5k, for three years with a mower that is 11 inches wider, probably isn’t worth it, right?

Do you agree? Am I missing anything?

Equipment failure can happen at anytime IMO. At first I was thinking “the ‘14 is older and could start nickel and diming me” but really, maybe it won’t. Then I started thinking, “how dumb would it be to get rid of a mower that has been perfect because… well…. Later it might NOT be perfect?”

I feel like I should stop looking for that “killer deal” on another 61 VII because what I have now is still working pretty good.
I one hundred percent agree with you. Stay where you are. (Unless your helper wants the nicer ride and is willing to foot the extra $5k and let you keep the mower when he leaves! :laugh: ) But seriously, I agree. Stick with what you've got.

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Yup …. And I agree 100% with your 100% lol!

I just put it out there because I know many people rotate their equipment, and wanted to see if I was missing something.

I actually was missing something (foolishly) that I noticed yesterday morning. I have a kennel at one of my properties that the 52 just barely fits in. We would have to push that with a 21 if it didn’t. That alone would be a reason to keep this 52 over trading for a 61.

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
730 hours is nothing, I wouldn’t get hung up on that. We’ve had pretty good luck with vrides and maintenance. Nothing that broke the bank. Had a couple leaky wheel motors over 1k hours across 3 mowers.

Top Forums