Not upgrading to a 2nd VII 61 inch

Jashley73

LawnSite Member
You already said that the 52" is needed for one area, and that losing it for another 61" would hurt you.

That one area - Would sacrificing that one area be worth any improvements by having (2) 61"s on the rest of your properties?

Personally, I like the idea of having (2) mowers of equal width where you can cut the same stripes regardless if there's one or two people on mowers.

Same blades, belts, etc. to be carried on the truck, instead of multiple sets of spares.

And lets be honest about the motor sizes. They'll use the same fuel at the same engine load. 3,600 rpm on a 25hp engine is still 3600 fuel injections per minute. 3,600 rpm on a 37 hp motor is still 3,600 fuel injections per minute.

The difference is that the 37 will probably use less fuel if it's fuel injected vs. the carbureted engine, as fuel delivery is more efficient.

But, is it worth the outlay of cash, and sacrificing on that one area?

(Personally, I like the idea of (2) 61's and a 36" walk-behind, but it's always more fun when you're spending someone elses money, vs. your own...) :)

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Some really good points. I appreciate it!!

Yes, time is money and getting done sooner would definitely happen. I also totally agree that being able to put either mower, on any area is an advantage too. Same everything is also awesome. How much sooner I would get done, I am not sure. It's also pretty much brand new while the 52 is coming up on 8 years old. So that's something I'm considering.

I just got off the account where I thought I needed a 52 to get through the gate. I do need the 52 if I do nothing (it's hard to explain but I'll try). This is a commercial account. The parking blocks run along the wall/fence that the gate is on, and they're rebarred into the blacktop, and there is grass between the fence and the blocks that I trim. On one end, where the dumpster gate is, they've removed a block - 1) so the gate will swing open and 2) so nobody parks there blocking the dumpster. The 52 just barely fits through that opening, and can "squeeze" down the row of blocks along the fence, and then pivot through the gate. Does that make sense lol? 52'ing that fenced in area instead of 21'ing it is HUGE for us/me - especially this time of year while dumb-dumb is away at college and I'm on my own.

HOWEVER.... I measured the gate this am before I mowed, and the 61" would definitely fit through the gate. But it would NOT "squeeze" along the fence and the parking blocks, like the 52 does. But if I removed a parking block, I could drive straight in with the 61". Perhaps that's something to investigate.

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Then again, I have no versatility if I JUST have 61's.

Thanks for helping me work this with you guys. I hate missing out on a "good deal" when it pops up like this. This particular seller has two 61's. One has the Kawi and one has the VanG. Both are the Big Block EFI's I believe.

Marshall96

LawnSite Member
730 hours is nothing, I wouldn’t get hung up on that. We’ve had pretty good luck with vrides and maintenance. Nothing that broke the bank. Had a couple leaky wheel motors over 1k hours across 3 mowers.
We run two vride 1s and both burn oil about a qt a week. We already replaced one engine but that one burns too. Do you have the same problem?

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Yeah …. Ya snooze ya lose. Opportunity has passed. Probably for the best. I probably shouldn’t have started the thread in the first place …..

Mark Hamill

LawnSite Member
Some really good points. I appreciate it!!

Yes, time is money and getting done sooner would definitely happen. I also totally agree that being able to put either mower, on any area is an advantage too. Same everything is also awesome. How much sooner I would get done, I am not sure. It's also pretty much brand new while the 52 is coming up on 8 years old. So that's something I'm considering.

I just got off the account where I thought I needed a 52 to get through the gate. I do need the 52 if I do nothing (it's hard to explain but I'll try). This is a commercial account. The parking blocks run along the wall/fence that the gate is on, and they're rebarred into the blacktop, and there is grass between the fence and the blocks that I trim. On one end, where the dumpster gate is, they've removed a block - 1) so the gate will swing open and 2) so nobody parks there blocking the dumpster. The 52 just barely fits through that opening, and can "squeeze" down the row of blocks along the fence, and then pivot through the gate. Does that make sense lol? 52'ing that fenced in area instead of 21'ing it is HUGE for us/me - especially this time of year while dumb-dumb is away at college and I'm on my own.

HOWEVER.... I measured the gate this am before I mowed, and the 61" would definitely fit through the gate. But it would NOT "squeeze" along the fence and the parking blocks, like the 52 does. But if I removed a parking block, I could drive straight in with the 61". Perhaps that's something to investigate.
Sounds like to me you need to buy new 61 keep the 52 and just get a bigger trailer so you can hold three the rides would fit nicely on a 20 ft trailer

Mark Hamill

LawnSite Member
Yeah …. Ya snooze ya lose. Opportunity has passed. Probably for the best. I probably shouldn’t have started the thread in the first place …..
I love the scags. Not saying you don't have to replace parts but they'll last you a long time I wouldn't worry about 700hrs. I traded one of my old three-wheel scags in for a truck and it had 4700 hrs on it

Top Forums