1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

nothern tool excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by lawnandplow42, Mar 29, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

In northern tool and equipment catalog, i saw a 21 horsepower mini excavator for 14,000 dollars. This must be junk. I didn't even see a brand name. I'd be curious to try it out though.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe they are used. I haven't looked at one of their catalogs in a while, but they used to have used fork lifts and skid steers.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I believe these machines are IHI and are used. They might be reliable, but it's hard to say. I think I'll stick to my Cat dealer.

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you guys actually bought something from N. supply? I get the magazine but is it worth it.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've bought a wheelbarrow wheel and tire from them! Does that count?

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Constuction equipment, in my opinion, should not be bought out of a magazine. Wheelbarrows, small power equipment, power tools, all that is fine. If I can't sit on the piece, run it, put it through it's paces before I drop $14,000 it seems like a real gamble to me.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

14K is not really cheap for a mini ex.

you can buy a good used bobcat 331 for $14K range

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I actually believe those mini's are new, but they really redefine mini. I can't see something that small being any good for a little digging in really tight quarters.

9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the input guys. Its a 21 horsepower engine, that defintly doesn't sound like enough!! It doesn't say if its diesel or not (i'm assuming it is)

10. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

I found this on their web site.

FREE SHIPPING -- bobcat Yanmar Mini Excavator — 26 HP, Year 1993-96
    Convenient and compact excavator is ideal for a wide variety of landscaping and agricultural work. Features a backfill bucket and digging depth of 8 1/2ft. Models available are 1993-1996 and are used in good condition. Powered by a 3 cylinder diesel Yanmar engine. Each unit has been thoroughly inspected for mechanical problems and leaks and will come with at least 50% tread. Truck ship.