Lawn Care Forum banner

now THIS is how you do leaf cleanups!

15K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  tobylou8 
#1 ·
Can u believe this setup actually worked really good?!?! I found this pic in my phone last night and thought I'd share it with you guys. Everyone is always trying to figure out a way to make cleanups go faster and this actually worked! Though my lawn care manager (guy on the mower) didnt take too much time to rig it so it fell apart after the first lawn and for some reason we never got back to making a second generation attempt. If someone could tweak this a little, it works really well.

Plant Window Leg Automotive tire Asphalt

See less See more
#5 ·
that is a great idea...just one question though: how do you unload such a big load at once? I just dont think that I could unload it all at once by myself. If you have a leaf loader it would be great but if not it maybe too difficult to use jmo. Great idea though

#6 ·
that is a great idea...just one question though: how do you unload such a big load at once? I just dont think that I could unload it all at once by myself. If you have a leaf loader it would be great but if not it maybe too difficult to use jmo. Great idea though
it did the whole lawn without having to empty it, and when we were ready to empty it, 4 guys were there to dump it in the "suck up" pile, so we just took it off and dumped it out. And like I said, it fell apart after that and we never tried it again. I remember the only other problem was how close to the exhaust it was- wound up melting a piece of the tarp.

Here is the Monster Leaf Bag from ebay- anyone ever tried it?

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant

#13 ·
Um;););) Were drugs used in the invention process:laugh::laugh: Just kidding. I think you may have a good idea there. Now you need to make a small cart so the tarp wont rip as its dragged across the lawn.

#17 ·
I don't understand why you guys make it hard for yourself that amount of leaves could be mulched in short order and the four guys could be layed off.
I dont know how things are with your customers, but most of ours will call and complain if they see any sign of mulched leaves left on their lawn. I can explain till im blue in the face about nutrient availability in the leaves but it wont work by us. They want them all taken away. And mulching doesnt work if you have a thick irrigated, kentucky blue grass lawn. You can mow over it 20 times and you will still see the leaves.

Oh and about the drugs comment, nah... ive just always been someone who tries anything to make things more efficient while spending as little money as possible. You'd be surpised at yourself sometimes- like using a $0.30 6" flexible drainage pipe as a chute extender on the vaccuum versus spending a couple hundred bucks on a real chute extender. I was reading another thread last fall about a guy who thought he got a great deal by paying $160 on one, and he uploaded a picture, and it was basically a pipe! I just kick myself in the *ss if I waste money when its not worth it. But yes, sometimes all the time wasted trying to make something isnt worth it either, but ya never know when you will invent something great, thats how everything gets invented, isnt it?

I went to the actual monster bag website- www.monsterleafbag.com, and they are only $40. it may be worth a try next fall for $40. Even if its just doing the final cut and catch after the bulk is picked up, $40 sure beats a $2000 tow behind collection system!

#19 ·
i would just go to a canvas shop and et them to sow u one that will fit that mower.

#20 ·
I went to the actual monster bag website- www.monsterleafbag.com, and they are only $40. it may be worth a try next fall for $40. Even if its just doing the final cut and catch after the bulk is picked up, $40 sure beats a $2000 tow behind collection system!
Thought about the most difficult leaf jobs and they all have a lot of ragged, jagged roots sticking up. I love the monster bag idea but am afraid I would lose $40 six minutes into the job. If only Monsterleafbag and Proslide would merge, the product would be unbeatable:laugh:

#21 ·
I don't understand why you guys make it hard for yourself that amount of leaves could be mulched in short order and the four guys could be layed off.
I dont know how things are with your customers, but most of ours will call and complain if they see any sign of mulched leaves left on their lawn. I can explain till im blue in the face about nutrient availability in the leaves but it wont work by us. They want them all taken away. And mulching doesnt work if you have a thick irrigated, kentucky blue grass lawn. You can mow over it 20 times and you will still see the leaves.

Oh and about the drugs comment, nah... ive just always been someone who tries anything to make things more efficient while spending as little money as possible. You'd be surpised at yourself sometimes- like using a $0.30 6" flexible drainage pipe as a chute extender on the vaccuum versus spending a couple hundred bucks on a real chute extender. I was reading another thread last fall about a guy who thought he got a great deal by paying $160 on one, and he uploaded a picture, and it was basically a pipe! I just kick myself in the *ss if I waste money when its not worth it. But yes, sometimes all the time wasted trying to make something isnt worth it either, but ya never know when you will invent something great, thats how everything gets invented, isnt it?

Besides the fact that customers don't like it, it's not even possible most of the time. There are just way too many leaves. Early in the fall when there is only a little bit of leaves it is feasible to mulch them, but once it gets to be a thick layer of wet heavy leaves it just makes more of a mess than it's worth. Believe me I wish we could mulch them up, it would save me hours of time and tons of money.

#23 ·
!
What if the cost is only 60% of what you charged ....would that change their minds? It does in our area. On a $30 cleanup they won't pay$10 more to bag them up after we mulch.

#25 ·
After reviewing the Brinly-Hardy website ... the Leaf Bag manual only lists resinetial homeowner lawn tractors that it is compatible with, no commercial ZTR's !! Maybe it's not such a good product for a commercial LCO ... I'm not sure !!

#26 ·
i don't understand why you guys make it hard for yourself that amount of leaves could be mulched in short order and the four guys could be layed off.
lmao ... !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.