NuFarm CoolPower

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I am kicking back and forth what I would like to use for 1st/2nd round broadleaf treatment this season (April/May). I was really thinking of going with Momentum FX2, but have also considered Cool Power. Any Northern guys have experience with it? I like the non 2-4D formulation with the Tryclopyr, but need opinions on its effectiveness as a broad spectrum. Perhaps its sister (Horsepower) would be another option?

DA

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I prefer products which include triclopyr and dicamba--and of course a 2,4 D or non-2,4-D mainstay herbicide.
I like Lesco Eliminate, (which is like Horsepower) clear solution and almost no odor.
I don't like Eliminate-D (which is just a 3-way).

Odd, but I felt that Coolpower was a good choice for hot weather as I thought it was a bit better on spurge and oxalis. I used a surfactant in either case. Naturally, this allows you to use a 2,4-D product later or in fall without going over the twice per year limit.

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
DA i have used cool power I bought it for harder control weeds and it did a good Job but nothing special.

Also tried Horsepower mostly for a none 24D option I think they both worked fine but cost more than a 3way to me just wasn't a big bang for the bigger buck.

Some weeds just take more than 1 treatment.

Charles Cue

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use my regular 3-way and add Tryclopyr to it when its cold.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Valuable info guys, thanks.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I prefer products which include triclopyr and dicamba--and of course a 2,4 D or non-2,4-D mainstay herbicide.
I like Lesco Eliminate, (which is like Horsepower) clear solution and almost no odor.
I don't like Eliminate-D (which is just a 3-way).

Odd, but I felt that Coolpower was a good choice for hot weather as I thought it was a bit better on spurge and oxalis. I used a surfactant in either case. Naturally, this allows you to use a 2,4-D product later or in fall without going over the twice per year limit.
The MCPA ester and triclopyr ester in Coolpower just hammers the spurge/oxalis weed complex that comes up in hot weather. I think the triclopyr does most of the work. Turflon Ester by itself is really good for this as well. In warm weather, an effective rate can be as low as 16 oz per acre, with a maximum of 32. This of course, does not conflict with the spring and fall application of 2,4-D based weed controls. If you look at the charts put out by universities on various herbicides vs weeds, take note of how triclopyr and dicamba, both of which are present in Coolpower gives excellent control of most weeds. 2,4-D is used or added to weed controls mostly because it is cheap and turf tolerance is high. Warm season turf, with the exception of zoysia should not be treated with triclopyr at rates over 4 oz per acre. Bent grass should also not be treated with triclopyr unless the objective is removal from other grasses.

sprayboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Never used coolpower but use horsepower quite a bit as a non 24-d alternative. I have good results with it and as riggs said very low odor.

pieperlc

LawnSite Senior Member
Never used coolpower but use horsepower quite a bit as a non 24-d alternative. I have good results with it and as riggs said very low odor.
Ditto to the above. I've got a good kill on harder to control weeds as well. I like to do spot treating with horsepower in the summer. It seems to me the kill on weeds is a little slower when compared to escalade 2, maybe a day or 2 delay. I attributed that to the lack of 2,4-d, but no real evidence that this is the case.

QuickSilver increases efficacy of tank mixes with three-way type products at lower use rates. 0.9 to 1.1 fluid oz with the 3 pint per acre rate. QuickSilver will also provide visible results the day after application to enhance your weed control program when used with a 3-way herbicide. Visit www.fmcprosolutions.com for more info.