1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Numbness in fingers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Jul 18, 2000.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I've been experiencing numbness and tingling in fingers since doing a tough weeding job a few days ago. Sometimes when I'm trimming I have to stop, put down the trimmer and shake my hands to get the feeling back. It then goes away immediately. I'm sure just a temporary problem. Wondering if anyone else ever had a similar symptom?

2. nasandsons

nasandsons LawnSite Member

I have experienced this when I use one specific string trimmer that I have for a long period of time. It seems as though the vibration coming off the handle of this particular trimmer causes this. I can use my other trimmer all day with no problems at all.

3. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I've been meaning to post on this topic. I started out in April. I have had several occassions where my hands would be tingling for a while after using a trimmer for over 15 or 20 minutes. I use an Echo 2100. (I would be very interested in knowing what brand and model of trimmers you guys are using). The tingling usually goes away within a few minutes.<p>Probably about June I started having a problem with my hands everyday. When I get up in the morning I can't move my fingers. They get back to normal usually within an hour or two and are then fine all day. This is a daily problem whether I work or not. I am convinced that this is due to vibration from the trimmer and/or mowers (also hedge trimmers). I read a post on here a while back where someone said they went to a doctor and was told they were holding their tools too tightly. (I searched and could not find the post). So I have started to pay attention to that. A friend suggested using pipe insulation to make padded handles, so I have been putting padded grips on mowers, trimmers, etc. I also started using a shoulder strap whenever I am using the trimmer for an extended period. (I just got some standard strap and made a hook for it with a pipe clamp - I don't think Echo sells the strap except as part of the brush blade kit). I have been reading books about arthritis, which is probably what this is. I have started taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin, which is supposed to help with cartilage repair in arthritis. I also have just discovered anti-vibration gloves. These are made by a company called Valeo. Their website is http://www.valeoinc.com I think the gloves are pretty expensive, like about $35.00. I found a pair on ebay and they are on the way.<br>I am convinced that if a person has really strong hands it probably shouldn't be a problem to do a few hours of mowing/trimming a day. I think my hands need to be stronger and straighter. I continue to practice yoga, which I think is helping to get my arms, wrists, hands, fingers into better alignment. I also got a book called Mastery of Hand Strength, which has a lot of info on developing hand strength. And I have found a product called theraputty, which is like silly putty but just for excercising hands.<br>This has been a very scary problem, as it seems like something that will just get worse if nothing is done to correct it and I don't want to have to stop working outside and go back to the nightmare world of computers. I have faith that this can be overcome. I would appreciate any info or advice. It may be useful to hear more about others' experiences with this type of thing.<br>

4. Chris

Chris LawnSite Member

I think it is called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome; not a fun thing to be bothered by. Stretching exercises, anti-vibe gloves are a start. It seems to be a job hazard for our industry.

5. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem w/ my t270 but my problem is this, when i touch certain parts on the on off switch i get shocked, which in turn creates a tingling sensation, haha...guess my prob is diff...

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I get it from the trimmer, using the blower for a long time or using the mid size walk behind. Its got to do with vibration, try some anti vibe gloves. I think I will too.

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to be on the safe side take the time to see your doctor and have a blood test. Tingling fingers and toes are a symptom of diabeties. I had the problem with my feet but since I started taking medicine to get it under control they're 100% better now.

8. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

Bassman;<br> My doctor told me NOT to shake my hands but to raise them above shoulder level until tingling stops. Shaking them will increase the &quot;Carpal Tunnel&quot; progress or effect.He also said this my decrease as the season goes on but to stay aware of all simular symptoms.

9. Den

Den LawnSite Member

I've experienced the same thing and for me at least it turned out to be carpel tunnel syndrom. I experienced the same thing while driving a car for a long time. There is a cure for it if you have good insurance. I had surgery to enlarge the space that the nerves pass through. It cured the problem for me. O don't know if everyone would have the same result as me but it's worth checking into if it is really causing a problem for you.

10. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I Had the same problem when I used a Homelite trimmer. Went with Shindaiwa... no problems.