Numbness in fingers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Jul 18, 2000.

1. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I hadhave the carpal tunnel also. My walk behind and my Echo trimmers did the most damage and the severe pain got me to go with a hydro mower. For you guys having problems with Echo & other trimmers: Easy solution that will ease the effects is to adjust the handles on your equipment. I took the Echo (triangle) handles off & replaced them with old Makita (round) trimmer handles. I am now able to adjust my grip so that it is comfortable. If you can't find a round handle to use simply turn the handle that you have until you hold the trimmer with your hands in a more natural & comfortable position. CTS isn't from the vibrations, it comes from holding your hand in an unnatural position, which pinches that nerve that someone else mentioned. If you can adjust any equipment that bothers you so that your hands aren't bent at awkward angles you can avoid a lot of the pain. I used to get it within 2-3 minutes of picking up the trimmer and can now go for 20 or more minutes before it bothers me.

2. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

Get this problem all the time when using any vibration creating equipment. Used a Sthil trimmer( the long one) and it damn near vibrated out of my hand. Couldn't use it above idle. Brand's really don't make a lot of difference, it's the harmonics involved. <p>Now you young guys pay attention to what I am going to say...I am 43 years old and have been doing landscape maintenance /construction for 25 years. <p>I have not really been on the tools for the last 5 years. In 1996, I had a worn bursa sack in my shoulder give out from repetitive motion injury and impact shock injury. Had minor surgery to repair a small tear at the edge of the rotater cuff, and was in rehab for 2 months. Had to learn how to walk straight again after that. Did get my golf handicap down a few strokes though. I have never had something hurt so bad or feel that kind of pain. I was an EMT for 8 years and know what hurts. The repetitive injury wore out the bursa until it was bone on bone and damn near killed me. This was from raking, impacts of the shovel and other tools, calicified tendonitis in my shoulders from years of blowers, back packs and tree planting. Tried to jump off the backhoe yesterday and help my guys plant a 5 inch tree, but they told me to get my stove up ass back on the machine, because I would take forever.<p>I have poor orthopeditcs in my family and have tried the gluecosamine thing, but now take Celebrex. Take care of your bodies and prepare yourselves to be able to make a living off the tools after 36, 38 some where in that area. <p>I teach the younger guys how to work efficently and to not screw up there bodies, because they see me get out of my pickup and walk(hobble) to the shop every morning. Gets better after the first hour.