Numerous rain o mat heads

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Mdmk1231, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Mdmk1231

Mdmk1231 LawnSite Member

If you know anything about these heads they are nearly indestructible. I have probably 50 or so brand-new heads that have been sitting in storage for several years looking for best offer

IMG_0452.JPG

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like Boots would snap those up in a New York minute.

3. Mdmk1231

Mdmk1231 LawnSite Member

They're solid brass and completely flush when closed.. been in the irrigation field 40 years and can tell you they last

4. Mike Leary

With "old and in- the- way stuff" like those you might get more $ taking them to a scrap yard. Maybe you've been in the business too long, I can't imagine any modern techs using those heads.

5. Mdmk1231

Mdmk1231 LawnSite Member

I am a modern tech. I posted here hoping some old timer was looking for them..

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What you want to do is to one at a time offer them for sale on eBay. They will have a collector value above and beyond any other value they will ever possess. Play your cards patiently. Take months, even years, to sell them off, and you will cash in. payup

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The knock against using the heads in actual systems is that they don't pop up enough to clear modern grass heights, and the heads technically require being installed on brass riser nipples, so that the internal ball drive has some mass/structure to act against.

These are heads for lawns cut short, or dichondra. They also had minor problems in freezing climates from sitting all winter while the brass corrodes just enough for the heads to not pop up come springtime.

Mike Leary likes this.
  8. Mike Leary

I used to save all the brass and copper we ripped out of jobs. Every year, about this time, we'd load up the ST and the lead would take them into town. It was his pre-Christmas present. I never asked him what he got for it, but a couple of times, he did not show up for a couple of days!

9. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from USA

Prices are way down. Last time I went, I used more gas than I got for the 2 big commercial refrigerators I took. Even took the motors and coils off.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I scrapped 4 milk crates of backflows , boiler drains and scrap copper about 3 weeks ago. Got $312 .

$1.20 per lbs for brass copper mix

$1.50 per lbs copper.