nutgrass control

Island Lawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I've got a customer w/ a juniper/nutgrass bed.
She wants the nutgrass out. She is not concerned with damaging or killing the juniper, I would rather not.
Also in the beds, under a layer of pine straw, is cheap black plastic "fabric" with nugrass growing through it everywhere. Should I just take this up? Could this inhibit the effectiveness of the pesticide?
This is a well established stand of nutgrass.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I took my pest exam a couple of days ago. I was well prepared for it. I expect to have "restricted use" access within 4-6 weeks.

Skookum

LawnSite Senior Member
I have used Trimec Plus for yellow nut sedge with great results in lawns. I am switching to Manage this year due to Trimec's unforgiving heat tolerance. I am not sure about use around a juniper.

You might be surprised what Roundup can do without damage to junipers since Roundup is suggested for Christmas tree and evergreen farms.

Check some labels or manufacturer's websites.

GroundKprs

LawnSite Bronze Member
Is nutgrass a southern equivalent of yellow nutsedge, or is it a different plant?

OP
I

Island Lawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the info!
After the tips, I did some follow up research.
I'm giving "Manage" the GREEN light.

As I understand, nutgrass is yellow sedge.

Thanks again for the tips!
I love this site!

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
I've used Manage and it works. However its pricy at $10 a gallon!

GroundKprs

LawnSite Bronze Member
Agree that Manage is the route to go. But don't skimp on the directions. When you're paying $10/gal for basic ingredient, don't forget the few cents worth of surfactant. That can make a major difference in success rate.

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
I've always applied Manage as soon as the Nutgrass is visible. Give it good coverage when spraying!