Nutsedge control

BillK01

LawnSite Member
I’ve got quite a crop of nutsedge that I’d like to kill off. In reading about it and looking online for whats available locally it appears I’m stuck with Ortho Nutsedge Killer if I want something in the next day or so.

There are 2 versions of this I can get. A ready to use hand sprayer spot treatment that’s .05% Sulfentrazone, while the hose end sprayer version is 1.40% Sulfentrazone. I don’t have a huge area to treat but wonder if the percentage difference between the two versions would make a big difference on how well it will work. Also don’t want to risk killing my grass.

Any advice? Thanks.

OP
B

BillK01

LawnSite Member
I honestly don’t know. I guess a typical western PA northern mix. Been here about 9 years so probably and older mix of fescue, KY bluegrass etc.

Would a fairly close up pic help?

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Platinum Member
As was mentioned, domyown.com is a great resource. They have a large selection, one won't find in big box stores. I too would go with the sedgehammer. Test a small area to ensure it doesn't harm your grass.

tdipaul

LawnSite Senior Member
Last year I went through like 10 of those ready to use spray bottles. Never again! This year I bought the hose version but instead of running the hose I put 1/4 of the contents into a cheap 1 gal sprayer with water. Have plenty now. Much cheaper and so far so good. Its cropping up everywhere this year.