1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

OakNut's Toro TimeMaster Model 20199

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by OakNut, May 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RandyNC

RandyNC LawnSite Member

Well, not to get too excited @ncpete - it's a small operation. I met a guy who is an ROTC instructor at NCSU and he is running an side job there making Amaretto. He was telling me about the setup and that they have tours every Saturday. It is really small though. The name of the place is Raleigh Rum Company and the Amaretto operation is Oak City Amaretto. They have two stills making rum, and of course Amaretto is made starting with a grain alcohol base. It was an interesting tour but not sure I would drive from Hope Mills for it! But if you are ever in Raleigh, check it out! Both companies also have FB pages, etc.

ncpete likes this.
  2. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

Sweet - I work in Cary weekdays, too bad they don't have tours available Friday evenings
    and - have to update my location to Fayetteville - took a whole 5-6 miles off my commute.

3. Matador

Matador LawnSite Member

Ughhhhh...another new problem. The muffler bolts broke from rusting and now is broken in the thread. Going to have to drill it out. :(

On top of that, the electric start that was so convenient now is essentially useless and I have to pull start it every time. Why is this?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Often we all run electric starts until they fail never thinking about any maintenance. I now pull starters every winter to inspect and fix.

5. Matador

Matador LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried to custom fit a Kawasaki motor from the turfmaster to the timemaster body?

The Kawasaki is better right?

sjessen likes this.
  6. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Silver Member
    from TEXAS

I would swap Honda GXV340 first to make it worth the hassle

7. RandyNC

RandyNC LawnSite Member

OK folks, I need some maintenance advice. I was cleaning things up the other day and noticed that the left blade had a good bit of slop in it. It is significantly more loose than the one on the right. Take a look at the vid below from YouTube for details (it's < 30 seconds):

So, do you believe that this is a problem with the spindle assembly? The blade is tight, so the only thing I can imagine is that the spindle shaft, which seems to have a 'keyed engagement' through the spindle assembly and into the sprocket, has play in it somewhere. I'm going to disassemble it and take a look. It's still working for now, but it seems like it's on the way to failure. This spindle has not been replaced but the one on the right side has. Here is a link to the assembly drawing on Jack's Small Engines site. So, if I need to replace something, should I replace the spindle assembly and sprocket? What about the spindle shaft? Just looking for input. Thanks as always!

8. RandyNC

RandyNC LawnSite Member

Just a note regarding my comments on Post #717 above - I took everything apart and it quickly became clear that the sprocket assembly (PN 1219100) needed replacement. I never really noticed it before, but this sprocket is a TWO PIECE assembly with two bearings in it. The pieces are held together by 4 screws on the top and 4 on the bottom of the sprocket. The lower bearing is 'keyed' to accept the slotted male side of the spindle shaft. The upper bearing is just a plain old bearing. On my mower, the upper bearing was wearing into the plastic of the sprocket (I hate plastic stuff on these mowers!) and this is what was causing the blade slop shown in the video above. The sprocket is $25 + shipping on Jacks Small Engine parts, but the Toro dealer promptly charged me $37 for it (I didn't want to wait on Jack's shipment). Not a difficult repair, but just one more part that I have had to spend $$ on with this mower. I guess technically I could have done a warranty submission on this, but they were 1.5 weeks out for lead time. My grass is coming up after overseeding, but I didn't have that much time to spare so I just picked up the part and replaced it. All the other parts on this spindle are fine (Shaft and spindle assembly) so that should hold me for at least a few more hours of mowing..... :)

sjessen likes this.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

You will be a Toro Mastertech soon!

Walker56 and RandyNC like this.
  10. skidaddytn

skidaddytn LawnSite Member

I may have posted this before, but it's real important when you replace a spindle to make sure that the spindle shaft is still perfectly straight. You can get close enough by putting it together on a bench and spinning it with the plastic synch pulley attached to check it. There should be zero wobble. Any wobble at all will end up in a failure once you spin for several hours at 3000rpm once its running. Also on this mower, be sure your blade engage cable is not "too tight" when engaged. It only needs to be just tight enough to engage. Any excess tightness can put extra pressure on the cheap plastic synch pulley and shaft resulting in earlier than usual failure. I've changed mine twice, so I've gotten to learn some lessons along the way. lol

RandyNC likes this.