1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

OakNut's Toro TimeMaster Model 20199

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by OakNut, May 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. skidaddytn

skidaddytn LawnSite Member

The 3 engine mounting bolts worked their way loose finally. I could hear the engine making a loud racket on start and shutdown. Tightened them up... took a guess and went with 40 ft/lbs. Nice and quiet again. I might be investing in some lock washers soon.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  2. skidaddytn

Hey guys... For those with transmission (personal pace) issues, I found an interesting youtube video by a guy named jakester455. While not the exact same mower, the concept looks similar to ours... He actually took the whole thing apart and added a washer to fix the gear alignment. This is more work than I want to do, but then, low and behold, one of the readers said they just opened the thing *in place* (much easier) and simply added an e-clip to provide the spacing! Thinking about checking mine-- mine still works great on flat ground and slight uphill grading, but I feel like it doesn't climb the more difficult grades like it did when it was new...
    It could be that the gears are slipping a bit, check it out:

Of course, before you open the gear box, it would be good to have some grease on hand and a backup plan in place (i.e. knowing that your dealer has one in stock or you can get it from Amazon quickly)

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    TrainingWheels, ncpete and sjessen like this.
  3. Mark Ev

Mark Ev LawnSite Member

Thanks mostly to this thread I picked up a used timemaster. Lots of problems many I found answers to here.
    I realize the little plastic traction lever (99-1589 LEVER-TRACTION) is only $5 however it would take a week or more to get and eventually just break and looked to be a pain to change. I decided to use two metal threaded hose clamps on the split piece to at least see if I could get it running and so after two hours of mowing it was still going strong.

TrainingWheels and ncpete like this.
  4. skidaddytn

In addition to the traction lever getting rounded out, be sure and try changing the transmission cable itself when you are having personal pace issues. Mine was internally chaffed and hanging on by only 50 percent of the strands... This will totally kill your self propulsion. Lol

TrainingWheels and hort101 like this.
  5. RandyNC

RandyNC LawnSite Member

Hey guys, do I need to grease the spindle shaft or spindle itself when replacing shaft? I think not but thought I’d ask.

Thanx in advance!

6. skidaddytn

I didn't but I doubt it would hurt anything if you did. Word of warning-. I tightened the spindle nut to 60 ft lbs and it eventually lost its grip and started wobbling. Retightening fixed it. Im now thinking this should be 80 to 100 ft lbs. It will get loud when the nut starts backing off. Lol. Maybe even some blue loc tite would help

RandyNC likes this.
  7. RandyNC

RandyNC LawnSite Member

I was wondering about torque requirements. I'll shoot for 80 - 90. I have a fear of stripping things out! Blue Loctite for sure as well.

ONE MORE QUESTION -- Take a look at the drawing in this link: https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...001-314200000/belt-spindle-and-blade-assembly

Part #18 is the idler bracket. You will see a bolt shown as part #19 (shoulder screw) in the front of the bracket. I just noticed that I have a bolt like that in the rear of the bracket, but not the front. Although the front appears that it would accept this, my front bolt hole seems to be stripped because the bolt will not tighten. Do you guys have bolts in front and back of the idler bracket, or front only, or back only?? I think I can put a nut on the bottom of the bolt (there is access under the deck) again w/ blue Loctite and it should be fine. Just wondering what other people have on their mowers. The drawing seems to show 'front only' but my mower has 'back only' at the moment.

I appreciate all the input from you folks!!

8. RandyNC

RandyNC LawnSite Member

Well, no good deed goes unpunished. I was putting everything together tonight and managed to snap the head off 1 of the bolts that holds on the spindle assembly (1 of 4). NOT GOOD!! I decided to go ahead and bolt it all back together and give a quick test. Runs smooth, but I guess I need to get that bolt fixed before using it. I don't have any good way to remove it. It sticks up through the deck about 1/2" or so. I thought about getting some pliars and just trying to back it down enough so I could grab it from the bottom of the deck. That may work. Anyone had to deal with this before? Fortunately (i guess...) it was on the outside of the deck so fairly easy to get to if it needs to have an extractor of some sort applied.

So, I was reading the thread above from @skidaddytn and he mentions torquing the spindle shaft nut to 80 lb ft. I was really worried to go that tight. I went with 45, but am wondering if I need to do more. When I originally read the thread I thought that may be OK, but now am concerned. Also, in a different thread shown here (https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/oaknuts-toro-timemaster-model-20199.425509/page-61#post-5493359) he talks about going with 40 lb ft. So, not sure what to do now! ALL INPUT IS WELCOMED!!!

How dangerous will it be to use the mower with 3 out of 4 spindle assembly nuts to cut my grass that has not been cut in 2 weeks now? It was in fully and tight when I broke it -- trying to get that 'last turn'. I am really aggravated!!

sjessen likes this.
  9. skidaddytn

You need to go to harbor freight and get left handed drill bits. You can reverse drill that broken bolt out. Those 4 bolts are fine just hand tight with a normal ratchet. Don't over torque those. Probably ok to mow once with 3 but fix ASAP. The main spindle nut held for a year at 60 before it started backing off.

RandyNC likes this.
  10. RandyNC

RandyNC LawnSite Member

Thx for the input. I just finished mowing w/ the three bolts. No problems! I was reading about the left handed drill bits. May check that out. Currently I have the spindle nut sitting at 45 (was scared to go too tight after that other break! I may ease it up to 50. :)

By the way, take a look at my other post (#727 above) regarding the bolts to the front and rear of the idler bracket. Do you have one on each side? I went with the nut on the bottom of the mower (added blue loctite also) and that seemed to work fine, but wondering what 'normal' looks like on these.

I'm now at 5 years on this mower. I have probably spent 50% of the new cost on it replacing parts. VERY different than my old Honda HRX217 which went for almost 10 years with only 1 or 2 trips to the shop and zero maint by me other than oil/filter/plug/blade changes.