Obnoxious Neighbor

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ehorde, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ehorde

ehorde LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have a neighbor who allows his Bougainvillea to grow up over the fence line. He trims it about every two months and allows the trimmings to drop onto my property. I have asked him to trim the plant back so that he can manage it on wholly on his property. My reasons are:

1. I don’t like getting pricked by the thorns when I pick up the trimmings.
    2. My dog has gotten the thorns stuck in his paws when I can’t get to them in time.
    3. My kids have had them stuck in their feet.

I have asked him to then at least pick them up. He refuses.

I now pick them up and drop them over the fence line so he can deal with them. OK... So now he throws them back over onto my property when I do this. @$&%* Are you kidding me?

(AND NO, THERE IS NOT MORE TO THIS STORY THAN I AM TELLING YOU!)

My question is: What if any recourse do I have?

There is no HOA and the City Council says there is nothing in their code to intervene.

It appears my only recourse is Civil Court. Perhaps using a “noxious” plant case?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Here, if the plant grows over into your yard you have a right to do what you need to fix it. Alot of times people will let vines grow on privacy fences that are shared between 2 yards, usually the one who does not want it on his side sprays it with roundup and well, you know how that works.

3. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

I had a neighbor who never trimmed anything along the fence line and it always grw onto my side and looked horrible - so I would mix up a bunch of the chemicals that kills everything (forgot the name) and spray it right down the fence line. He didn't have the nerve to complain

4. JB1

JB1 LawnSite Fanatic

I would trim it straight up the fence line, anything sticking over would be cut. (Really I would just spray it)

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

It would be wrong, and undefensible legally if he caught you doing it. Therefore, I wouldn't advocate doing it. But if it was me I would ****** the hell out of that thing with Roundup at about double the recommended dosage.

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

If its on your property then its yours...

7. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

The next time you go to chinamart or a box store,look for the displays that has dirt cheap flower seed packets. Select some noxious vining flower seed and help fill in the thin spots around his bouganvilee .10for a dollar morning glories are my favorite .

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You say you have a DOG, huh ?!?

Do you remember the hilarious ol' Saturday Night Live skit about the "Yard A Pult" ???
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Sounds like some roundup is in order.

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

And combined with a pump-up hand tank on a moonlit summer night...

A person on a mission can make "time-delayed graffiti" :rolleyes: magically appear !!