• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Odd patches of brown grass

dta1984

LawnSite Member
The past few mows, I've started to cut my grass a little shorter than normal. I'm noticing that there is green grass where my garden tractor tires track, and the center areas are brown. I alternate patterns every few mows, so you're seeing both patterns. Any idea what's causing this? It's only in the front part of my property.

Attachments

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
Have you seen any grubs in your lawn? They've destroyed several yards I mow. The results look similar. Take a shovel and dig a flap of sod up and see what's under it.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Bronze Member
The past few mows, I've started to cut my grass a little shorter than normal. I'm noticing that there is green grass where my garden tractor tires track, and the center areas are brown. I alternate patterns every few mows, so you're seeing both patterns. Any idea what's causing this? It's only in the front part of my property.
Your tire tracks have begun to rut into the soil. Since you are now beginning to cut down into the brown parts of your grass you are seeing the green tire tracks because you haven’t yet cut low enough to get into the brown parts of the grass in the tire tracks and make them turn brown.

It’s good that you changing patterns but you also need to stagger your tire tracks. Make a perimeter cut then make a cut that is less than a full mower width then continue by making full-width cuts so that you aren’t driving in the same tire tracks every time you mow each pattern.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Try lightly spraying the area with diesel. Then rake area, putting down new seed. Running out of time this year may wait until spring unless you are ready to go this weekend. Location helps

OP
D

dta1984

LawnSite Member
Your tire tracks have begun to rut into the soil. Since you are now beginning to cut down into the brown parts of your grass you are seeing the green tire tracks because you haven’t yet cut low enough to get into the brown parts of the grass in the tire tracks and make them turn brown.

It’s good that you changing patterns but you also need to stagger your tire tracks. Make a perimeter cut then make a cut that is less than a full mower width then continue by making full-width cuts so that you aren’t driving in the same tire tracks every time you mow each pattern.
Appreciate all of the responses.

I was thinking this might be the issue. Even though I alternate directions, I do follow the same tracks to bring out the stripes in the grass (when it's taller of course). I'll try to get away from that habit.

I'll also look into the grub worms, to see if that is an issue.