Off colored lawn - Poa Annua / Annual Bluegrass to blame?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ralb0147, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ralb0147

Ralb0147 LawnSite Member

I need help with my lawn. I live in NH and earlier this spring (May) my lawn was looking really good. There weren't any weeds, the color was a nice deep green and the stripes from mowing were well defined. Since then I've had two treatments of pre-emergent applied plus monthly fertilization and regular irrigation (5 days per week - yes I know this is a lot but my lawn faces south and bakes in the sun so this frequency in the past has given the best results). I try to mow the lawn twice per week with sharp blades.

A few weeks ago I started noticing that the lawn looked like the tips were browning across the majority of the lawn. I know this typically points to dull mower blades however they are nice and sharp so that isn't the issue. I've been watering plenty and this past Friday applied Milorganite and the brown hue still is not going away. After closer inspection today, it looks like the brown tips may be Poa Annua or Annual Bluegrass. Is this the likely culprit? If so, what options do I have? I know it's a pain to get rid of it but it's really messing with the look/color of my lawn. Take a look at the photos. Thanks in advance for your help!

Poa Annua June 12 2018 - 1.jpg Poa Annua June 12 2018 - 2.jpg Poa Annua June 12 2018 - 3.jpg Poa Annua June 12 2018 - 4.jpg

2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of grass? looks like no leaf blade all stems must be seeding

3. Ralb0147

Ralb0147 LawnSite Member

My lawn is a blend of 20% rye, 40% Kentucky Bluegrass, and 40% red perennial fescue

4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

My guess is mostly rye grass i see this all the time i never plant rye grass to many problems like this. I dont plant seed with blue grass in it because people have a hard time getting fescue and rye to germinate and never water long enough to get blue grass to germinate.

Ralb0147 likes this.
  5. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

Perennial ryegrass can get stemmy and the stems are tougher than the stems of other cool season grasses. The steaminess usually lasts about four weeks. After that you will end up with a nice dark green lawn again. Some people (like myself) think it’s worth the wait. My bluegrass also looks pretty ugly when it’s seeding anyway. PR seeding happens a little bit later than KBG so it extends the seediness a little.

Some perennial ryegrasses are stemmier than others. The next time you seed, use a variety that is less stemmy. NTEP has seedhead ratings of ryegrass cultivars on the other data page of the 2010 National Perennial Ryegrass Test.

http://www.ntep.org/reports/pr10/pr10_15-7f/pr10_15-7f.htm

Ralb0147 likes this.
  6. Ralb0147

Ralb0147 LawnSite Member

Thank you both for your input! I'm glad to see that this isn't some weed that has gone wild through my turf and would explain why this is happening all over since 20%+ of my lawn is perennial ryegrass. The even better news is, like you stated, that this will eventually go away after 4 weeks. At this point I'm at least 3 weeks in so will be anxiously awaiting for it to disappear soon and for my lawn to get back to the uniform dark green appearance I had earlier this spring.

7. Ralb0147

Ralb0147 LawnSite Member

This is what the lawn looked like about a month ago. I need it to get back to looking like this!

Crazy thick lawn May 2018.jpg Lawn Mowing May 5 2018 1.jpg

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Delmarva Keith and hort101 like this.
  9. Ralb0147

Ralb0147 LawnSite Member

I thought about potential dollar spot fungus however my issue appears to be too evenly spread throughout the whole lawn (as opposed to concentrated spots) and only appears to be from the rye grass, so I think the "rye stem phase" noted above is making a lot of sense. Fungus is always something to be aware of though so thanks for pointing that out. Because my lawn is in the sun most of the day, it generally dries very quickly making it not an ideal fungal environment.

10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I don't know about your area or lawn or if issue is fungus

Conditions in the Northeast were perfect for fungus outbreak:dizzy:

My own lawn had "spider webs" about two weeks ago

As far as grass type my thought is if it is green and growing
    Keep regularly mowing itThumbs Up

Mr Efficiency and Delmarva Keith like this.