• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Oh my, this is a friend of mine

Darryl G

Inactive
Just ran across this from a friend of mines web site. Sigh.

CONSUMER EDUCATION POINTS
1. Vacuuming lawns starts a whole cycle of earth abuse. Removing clippings for appearance sake only robs the soil of nutrients and organic materials necessary to sustain healthy plants. We all know that a healthy plant is the best way to prevent disease. That is textbook IPM....Integrated Pest Management. Constant removal of clippings decreases the staying time of moisture in the soil and increases the need for and the frequency of watering. The depletion of nurtrients promotes poor plant health which necessitates the use of fertilizers and pesticides. Leaching and runoff of Fertilizers and Pesticides into our earth's ever depleting supply of freshwater is very much real. It is unavoidable, polluting it, and killing off the fragile ecosystem. Be a GOOD earth neighbor, be CONSIDERATE, and stop vacuuming your lawn and support new Green Laws to BAN IT!

Between the lines: I don't have a bagger for my mower or a place to put the clippings and I failed the pesticide exam

2. When it comes to Mowing, (company name) not only saves you precious time, we are GREENER than you can imagine. We use the biggest, baddest, American commercial mowers available. One 61" can mow up to 27 Acres/Hr. We are 10 to 30 times faster and far more fuel effecient than homeowner machines. The cost of a cheap lawn mower that you hope will last three years is $800. Add the fuel and yearly maintenance? At $55/bimonthly for an acre of property, you are WAY AHEAD using (company name). What could you do with that extra 2 hours and the day that is now freed up? Think about it. More room in the garage/shed...completely free weekends, peace and quiet, more time with the family...no worries about weekend getaways. Be assured you are doing your finances a good deed, the earth a good deed, and your family will thankyou because they get their dad back. Spend your time wisely, friend...we all only get one shot.

Between the lines: We run our mower flat out hauling ass man WTH, what 61 inch mower can mow 27 acres/hour????

3. TREE REMOVAL IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE...REALLY. The Average tree we take down is a 65' Tall Oak. You keep the wood, we chip the 5" and smaller brush, flush cut the stump as low as safely possible, you do the fine final cleanup, and the tree is accessible to our trucks, the typical cost is way less than $1,000. Our day rate is $1,600 and, on average, we can take down....considering the trees are in a favorable spot...10+ trees in one day on one parcel. That is $160/tree...a really great price. SHOULD YOU NEED TO GET RID OF THE WOOD, we have many people at the ready that will cart it away. Stop, Lop, & Roll, the (company name) way!
Between the lines: we bought this fancy new bucket truck that we can't afford the payments on and have no way to haul off wood and aren't licensed arborists so nobody will hire us so now we're desperate

Come on, no crew of 2 is gonna cut down and chip 10 65' tall oak trees in a day. I think I'm gonna go slap this guy, lol.

Do you guys think any of what he says really holds up?

I really think i'm gonna go slap him!

OP
D

Darryl G

Inactive
Here's more:

BEACH COTTAGES: $25/week w/26 week contract

1/4 ACRE OR LESS. Restrictive properties extra (Poor parking/no parking, fences, narrow gates, impassable streets, excessive lawn furniture, messy yards, hoses, dog turds, etc). Bagging grass is NOT included. Push mower only yards start at $35. (Add a fall cleanup for additional $150)

ummm...pretty much the whole beach area meets the definition of "restricitve"

ALL OTHER RESIDENTIAL LOTS:

1/2 Acre $30/week w/26 week contract*

3/4 Acre $40/week w/26 week contract*

1 Acre $50/week w/26 week contract*

*No Steep Hills, Valleys, Excessive Trees, Rocks, Line Trimming, Must be fully accessible to 61" Zero Turn Mower, no Bagging of Clippings, No Push Mowing. Extra Charges Apply at $1.50/minute/man billed in actual time.

Holy crud....$90/hour for mowing!!!!

First 50 New Customers get an additional 5% off the annual total.

farmboy1285

LawnSite Senior Member
I like 2 and 3, what he doesn't want them to think about is that the $800 mower will last longer than 1 season and they will break even after 1 season. I had to stop reading #3 because it was so dumb. I used to use #1 when I was starting out and didnt have a bagger for my commercial mowers.

DitchDr

LawnSite Senior Member
Wel he is way off on 2 points, but on the first he is only off part way. By leaving the clipping, you are in face giving free food to the lawn. Well if you mulch it and make sure you do a good job, it is good for the lawn.

Number 2? 27 hours a acre? Do he have a ZZ502 on these mowers? 800 for a home owner unit? Last i checked Wal Mart has them for 119.00

#3 10 oak trees cut, chipped and hauled off in a day? With a crew of 2? NOPE

Maybe with 8 ground guys and 5 cutters, then the cutters help the gound guys once the cutting is done.. Oh and 2 chipper turcks running wide open.

I think his sight is full of fluff, how ever he is trying to sell to a younger crowd with his "green" view

farmboy1285

LawnSite Senior Member
Here's more:

BEACH COTTAGES: $25/week w/26 week contract

1/4 ACRE OR LESS. Restrictive properties extra (Poor parking/no parking, fences, narrow gates, impassable streets, excessive lawn furniture, messy yards, hoses, dog turds, etc). Bagging grass is NOT included. Push mower only yards start at $35. (Add a fall cleanup for additional $150)

ummm...pretty much the whole beach area meets the definition of "restricitve"

ALL OTHER RESIDENTIAL LOTS:

1/2 Acre $30/week w/26 week contract*

3/4 Acre $40/week w/26 week contract*

1 Acre $50/week w/26 week contract*

*No Steep Hills, Valleys, Excessive Trees, Rocks, Line Trimming, Must be fully accessible to 61" Zero Turn Mower, no Bagging of Clippings, No Push Mowing. Extra Charges Apply at $1.50/minute/man billed in actual time.

Holy crud....$90/hour for mowing!!!!

First 50 New Customers get an additional 5% off the annual total.
OH Man I should have waited before I posted :laugh:!!, Thats even dumber than the first 3!
"No Steep Hills, Valleys, Excessive Trees, Rocks, Line Trimming, Must be fully accessible to 61" Zero Turn Mower, no Bagging of Clippings, No Push Mowing. Extra Charges Apply at $1.50/minute/man billed in actual time"

What a joke. Basically instead of getting a smaller mower that he could actually use, then working up to a bigger mower when he had the money and job flow he went straight for the 61" mower and cut the number of lawns he can mow in half.

"Restrictive properties extra (Poor parking/no parking, fences, narrow gates, impassable streets, excessive lawn furniture, messy yards, hoses, dog turds, etc)"

I wish I could have gotten away with charging extra for crapping parking, excessive lawn furniture and dog crap.

OP
D

Darryl G

Inactive
Can I go slap him now? lol

I talked to him recently about plowing. He told me his minimum is $45 and that gets you 6 or 7 minutes of his time and after that it's $6 or $7 a minute....I forget which was 6 and which was 7. $20 bucks minimum extra if his helper has to get out of the truck.

I don't know, I sure as hell can't find customers willing to pay that. He's got nice trucks and equipment and all. Must be someone hiring him.

OP
D

Darryl G

Inactive
ROFL: Here's a couple of customer reviews from servicemagic.

"Good work, very energetic and way too expensive. Job for which I have'nt paid more than $300 cost over $700. He was very open about telling me the rate, but I had no idea he'd use so many hours!! Will pay, but won't rehire or recommend."

"(company name) did a great job. He provided a timely quote and communicated with me on the status of the job. Sadly, I need to advise that this job went well but my final bill was 60% over the estimate that (company name) provided me. So I would be cautious of estimates and realize that they could be much higher than expected. I think it is reasonable to expect a slightly higher estimate but 60% seemed unreasonable. I am paying because I do believe he did the work in good faith and he did a good job. "

Oh, that's the secret, just bill people way more than your estimate and they pay you anyway??? Again, where does he find customers like this????:confused: