Oh No, what did I do! Metro OPC guidance?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ajmac, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ajmac

ajmac LawnSite Member

Just Bought on older Metro (so I found out) see pics...When I looked up serial seems that it was listed under posted under >2006 mode but Exmark couldn't find number and they think it is older like late 90's. anyways in good shape, runs/cuts ok Needs alignment work etc, with linkages I know can figure out. The bigger issue, gulp, no OPC controls whatsoever, they were removed (handles, the harness I believe, and the adapter are all MIA) I have a new little one, a dog and a neighborhood for that matter so if I fall or just lose mower its not stopping. Can I add these back easily? Thoughts? Any metro hoarders ;) have parts. i think the harnesses/adaptor anyway are available in replacement models anyway. Motor is Kawi KB460V - LS14. Thoughts or guidance appreciated.

image4.jpeg image3.png

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Bronze Member

I applaud you for wanting to make the mower safety compliant. Too many people think nothing of bypassing safety systems. I would purchase the parts like the OPS, trans switch, blade sw, module etc as they are readily available. You could wire everything up yourself or purchase the harness and plug and play. This is not going to be cheap. The module alone is around $80.00. Hopefully a member may be able to hook you up with parts from a parted out Metro or maybe you could scour Craigslist to see if there are any parts machines availavle.
    You could use this owner and parts manual as a guide. Most of the older Metros used the same safety system from year to year.
    Owners Manual
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/50420/Exmark-Metro.html?page=39#manual
    Parts manual
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/511020/Exmark-Metro.html?page=12#manual
    In case you need the service manual for your engine
    http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kaw...als/FB460V-KAWASAKI-SERVICE-REPAIR-MANUAL.pdf

sjessen likes this.
  3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If you can not to it the proper way for what ever reason. There was a discussion on here a few years back, same concerns.

It was suggested to the OP to use a 'Dead Man switch" like what you find on a Seadoo or snowmobile, with a cable that you would attach to your belt (?) and to a pin that if pulled out, would kill the machine.

I don't remember the details, or if the OP did it, only that I thought this was a great way to cover one's butt ;)

4. Walker56

The OP did not mention if the neutral sw was removed. If removed, the mower could be started in gear. Since it is a pull start, the OP will be on the side of the machine and more than likely, will not have the safety cable attached to his belt. That could be an accident waiting for an occurrence.

sjessen and Breezmeister like this.
  5. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Could. I remember when the 1st Bobcats started coming out, they didn't have any OPC safety stuff.
    You learned real quick to slap trans into neutral and lock the brakes up...Other wise you had to chase after the machine :)

sjessen and Walker56 like this.
  6. ajmac

ajmac LawnSite Member

Thanks all for the help. I need to look for the switches. I was thinking I just needed harness , opc interlock and opc handles (and switch for that) these $ could add up quickly. Funny as this may seem, it did come with the original manual and parts listing (attached slightly different than walker56’s link) . I confirmed same as on exmark sight with model/serial number. I see no real wires coming out on engine other than throttle /choke cable. Maybe I’ll try starting in 1 to see what happens (after stretching out legs).

Attached Files:

7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

Our neighbor suggested that to me when I was talking to him about our Trimstar.

Before I was around it was re-powered with a Vanguard. The shop told the boss that the switches weren't compatible with the new engine.

When I was working on the hydros I took a closer look. Both wire on the switch are grounded to the block right now. :dizzy:

Walker56 likes this.
  8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Didnt know you ran T Stars as well. Have you had one run off on its own?

9. Walker56

Using the parts manual that you posted (850321) and the serial number over 102,000, I came up with the operator manual from the Exmark website (850320) If you look at the wiring diagram on page 47 in the owners manual, it shows a black and red wire going to the kill terminal on the engine. Currently, if the parts are intact, the only engine kill you have is when you pull the throttle cable all the way back below idle. From the assembly drawings, I see there is a kill switch mounted on the throttle/choke cable bracket.
    https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/ex...&vcaller=modlinfo.cfm&PubID=53851&vext=en@PDF

That Guy Gary likes this.
  10. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

That's "Mechanicese" for we don't want to mess with trying to figure out how to wire it up o_O

At lease you have the wires... You have what I call a winter project. Something to do when things are slow.

Walker56, That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.