1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ohio guys

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by The landscaper, Feb 14, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I think it has come up before, but....In ohio, how is the sales tax worked out. Do you have to charge customers this sales tax?

And, do you need a service license/business license?

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

-yes, you charge the customer sales tax. whether you decide to give it as a fixed price and not address the tax with the customer is up to you (just back out the tax to come up with the taxable amount).

-yes, you need a vendor's license.

you can also use the search feature for "ohio sales tax" for the previous threads.

3. The landscaper

Which way do you offer it. Do you add it in the price, or put it on the bills seperately.

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

we add it as the final line item. it brings the quoted price down (we add a "sales tax not included" fine print) and i've never had anyone complain as it's typical for anything else people purchase.

5. The landscaper

Thanks, I need to check more into it.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have a fixed price for tax, you are going to eat it if your county goes and changes anything. I know from experience. If you think counties dont change much, there was probably near a dozen last year. Food for thought.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Set up your invoice to show the tax at all time's that way they know they are paying it.

Subtotal
    Sales Tax
    Total