Ohio- Tall Fescue Over Seed with KBG

Groomer

LawnSite Gold Member
this is some good stuff from lesco
DSCF4416 (2).JPG

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Pay attention to the recommended varieties lists in Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey and Delaware. Try to buy seed that is on the list.
I tried to find some of the varieties. Some states do not list Shamrock bluegrass, one does.
I could not find Greenville perennial rye. Nor Align perennial rye.

Look for varieties here for instance.

Assume any variety not on the list is not much good. Look for something better.

Last edited:

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Last edited:

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
So, last summer 90% of my backyard was fried due to drought and fertilizing at the wrong time. Totally my fault and I'll own it. I cleared out the dead grass and reseeded with a slit seeder and Pennington seed which was a majority of tall fescue. I didn't realize it till it was already put down. Threw some Scott's starter fert down and watered religiously.
The new seed germinated and I had a new lawn in no time, but the texture just isn't what I was looking for. Decided to overseed this spring to fill in patchy spots and to introduce a different blend of seed. Looking around I stumbled upon GCI Cool Blue blend.
So I rented a slit seeder again and laid down the new seed and Scott's starter fert again. It's been raining off and on enough that I haven't had to water which is a good thing.
So my question is, will I notice the KBG once it starts to germinate or will the tall fescue still dominate the lawn?
The picture is my backyard at the end of the season last year. I'd say the pix was taken around October 2020.
I use only a TTTF with a small percentage of KBG. I find that if you mow the lawn high you will have more TTTF dominance. When this mix is mowed short you will eventually have more bluegrass dominance. When mowed shorter you will also see more invasive grasses taking over.

OP
Trout Bum 23

Trout Bum 23

LawnSite Member
Well, approx 2 1/2 weeks since over seeding I have to say it's coming in nicely. I can see the KBG starting to take off and spots filling in. The only thing I'd like to see now is a deeper green color.
I'm not sure when I can put a round of fert to give it a boost in Nitrogen. I did put down starter fert when I over seeded so I think waiting might be the best thing to do. Anyways, here's a pix of the backyard after mowing it this evening

Attachments

• FDDCC3B6-DE2F-4F1B-B55C-5FE855E0CCEA.jpeg
    FDDCC3B6-DE2F-4F1B-B55C-5FE855E0CCEA.jpeg
    737.3 KB · Views: 63
OP
Trout Bum 23

Trout Bum 23

LawnSite Member
Well, approx 2 1/2 weeks since over seeding I have to say it's coming in nicely. I can see the KBG starting to take off and spots filling in. The only thing I'd like to see now is a deeper green color.
I'm not sure when I can put a round of fert to give it a boost in Nitrogen. I did put down starter fert when I over seeded so I think waiting might be the best thing to do. Anyways, here's a pix of the backyard after mowing it this evening

OP
Trout Bum 23

Trout Bum 23

LawnSite Member
This is the same lawn from August 2020 after it was burnt out from lack of water and a untimely fert application.

Attachments

• 49BD172B-EC83-4F75-B708-AC1D01020589.jpeg
    49BD172B-EC83-4F75-B708-AC1D01020589.jpeg
    739.4 KB · Views: 68
  • F1CD34A0-F597-4978-AFCE-7EBD9C3548D1.jpeg
    F1CD34A0-F597-4978-AFCE-7EBD9C3548D1.jpeg
    701.4 KB · Views: 59
  • F4E78BBE-5B89-4D4C-B546-7D6FFAFF208C.jpeg
    F4E78BBE-5B89-4D4C-B546-7D6FFAFF208C.jpeg
    774.8 KB · Views: 55

Top Forums