Ohio weed identification

ohio matt

LawnSite Member
Hi I am hoping someone can help me ID this grassy weed. Typical Ohio Bluegrass rye lawn etc.

I don’t think it’s quackgrass I don’t see any of the purple or red on it and it looks much smaller bladed then quack grass . I tried XLR8 in one spot Of it and it didn’t touch it. I’ve been looking for a few weeks now on several extension websites I just can’t seem to find one that I think this is .

Thanks for any help Matt

C9DCD8AE-0641-444E-9C9A-8AAEF23AECCA.jpeg

38C8ECC2-34EE-4FFF-914C-634B73452A74.jpeg

5A1F1A5B-2924-44B8-9638-5374681394CE.jpeg

6F4ABFF8-3485-401F-982C-45E7A620972B.jpeg

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Maybe bent grass?
Has it been out all year or started growing well into the season?

OP
O

ohio matt

LawnSite Member
Hi guys thanks so much for the replies . This particular weed seems to show up every year around the end of June beginning of July somewhere in that range .

I’ve only been here five years two years ago I did a treatment with some Home Depot stuff compare and save killed the clover but didn’t touch the crabgrass. Last year I did a treatment with XLR8 Took care of the crabgrass but neither product took care of this weed . I’ll look into the stuff that guy Gary mentioned. Any other opinions are appreciated thanks

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
If it's becoming active in Summer it's definitely not bentgrass, it would get active at the same time the rest of the cool season turfs do.

With that bit of info I'm almost certain it's nimblewill, it's a very frost tolerant warm season grass.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
If it's becoming active in Summer it's definitely not bentgrass, it would get active at the same time the rest of the cool season turfs do.

With that bit of info I'm almost certain it's nimblewill, it's a very frost tolerant warm season grass.
Good point that's why I asked when it starts up
I was thinking crab whats your opinion?
Maybe even bermuda?

OP
O

ohio matt

LawnSite Member
Great, thanks guy! Im really leaning towards nimblewill, after doing some more examining this evening. That guy Gary, hit something else to, I remember this stuff being frost resistant as well. Looks like Im going to try some tenacity on it, unless someone disagrees.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Great, thanks guy! Im really leaning towards nimblewill, after doing some more examining this evening. That guy Gary, hit something else to, I remember this stuff being frost resistant as well. Looks like Im going to try some tenacity on it, unless someone disagrees.
Can't hurt it works on bent grass too try a test area to see how it affects your good turf imo

Post back with questions or resultsThumbs Up

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
I have this weed in some of the lawns I maintain as well.