1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio weed identification

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ohio matt, Jul 19, 2019.

1. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

I agree on nimblewill. Tenacity hits it.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    ohio matt

ohio matt LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks again guys. I ordered the tenacity. We have a couple places in town here called turf solutions I see a lot of the local Mowing guys go there, but it was pretty expensive there compared to online sources.

I’m going to do a test area first the one in the picture see how it works I feel good about it . Looks like you might have to reapply this 2 to 3 weeks later this might time out real good for fall Thatching, aerating and seeding. The stuff probably got me a good 20% infected patches in my grassy part of my property. It is only 3/4 of an acre so not too big. I got the dye and the surfactant as well.

I think it said thid stuff also works on crabgrass and Clover. If that’s the case I got several small areas nothing compared to what I had before of crab and clover might hit those with this as well

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

It works on young crab, might still take out a mature plant with a couple of apps though.

I'm trying it on clover myself, but won't be surprised if it takes a second or third app. The other common chemicals that have clover listed on the label do work but it needs several apps if the clover is well established.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ohio matt

from Ohio

OK I’ve got some young crab and young clover,
    but those would just be walking around spot treating several small patches. I actually have this lawn marked out from before in thousand square foot sections. I have a carpet cleaning business so when I treated for crabgrass last year I just took the time to go out and measure thousand square-foot sections out . I did the whole lawn with that but for this treatment it looks like I need to do 4000 square-foot complete trea Spray, The rest of the lawn would just be walking around and spraying the spots I see.

I just want to make sure I have this right for tenacity post-emergent I need 1 teaspoon in 2 gallons water for 1000 s/f?

5. That Guy Gary

Yeah I think that's the rate recommended on the label for spot spraying. It should come with a little syringe to help measure.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    ohio matt

from Ohio

Hi Guys,

Im 5 days in with the tenacity and already seeing results. I ended up doing the whole lawn. Nimblewill is already starting to lighten and get white tips. Looks like all the young crab is getting toasted as well. Im surprised seeing results this early. Not sure on the clover yet, if it doesn't get that that's fine,Im just happy to be seeing this nimblewill going bye bye:cool:.

I will snap a picture at the 2 week mark of that same area in my first postThumbs Up

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  7. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the feedback. Posters on the forum often ask for advice and then are never heard from again. Glad to know of your positive results.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Ohio bluegrass?

I was under the impression that for best results nimblewill treatment was to be performed in the spring.

9. That Guy Gary

Nimblewill doesn't even get active until late spring in the North.

You mixing it up with Bermuda like all the Southerners do?

10. OP
    OP
    ohio matt

from Ohio

Hi Guys, here is a picture at 10 days. Im glad I blanket sprayed the whole yard. A lot of nimbelwill in certain sections. Its looking good, here is the front stretch by the road, in the background you can see all the bad sections turning white. The small random crabgrass spots are toast, some are turning brown already. The good turf over all looks good, I'm really seeing no white on any of the good grass. I didn't have much clover, but I am seeing some of it starting to whiten. I think I am only going to be able to do one more application, Im at 2.6 ounces/acre applied right now, think it said 5-8 ounces max per year, 3 app might be pushing it to much?? What do you think on second application, day 14 or wait longer? IMG-0793.JPG

That Guy Gary likes this.