1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Oil change for 17 hp Kawasaki???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GOFlick, Apr 21, 2002.

1. GOFlick

GOFlick LawnSite Member

I have a 48 in Scag hydro walk behind with a 17 hp Kawasaki engine on it. Every time I change the oil it makes a total mess. There is a drain hole in the deck but the oil flows right over the hole and all over the deck. I was wondering if they make a Fumoto oildrain valve that would fit on it. Does anyone know what the threading for the drain plug is? Or a clean way to change the oil?

Thanks,
    Flick

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The part numbers from Kawasaki are:

161267003 Valve $17.88
    590717004 Joint $3.08
    670D2016 O Ring $0.80

For those of you who are wondering why you don't just go to the hardware store and buy these items there is a reason. The joint above has an O ring on the shoulder of it and it is metric threaded. Since the joint is metric threaded then the valve had to be the same way."

A hose can be put on the end of the valve and presto, no more messy oil changes.

3. GOFlick

GOFlick LawnSite Member

Richard,
    Do you have the Fumoto part number? I was just on their web site and couldn't find anything with the numbers that you provided.
    Flick

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Just go to your local Kawasaki dealer, they will be able to get the parts. They do exist, I have bought them before and others here at Lawnsite have bought them recently.

5. GOFlick

GOFlick LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info Richard I just picked the part up today and wanted to give anyone that purchases one a little insite. To be able to tighten the valve on your going to have to unbolt the four engine bolts on the deck. I tried everything to avoid it but it came down to be the only way to get it on tight. I'm looking forward to a clean oil change. Once again thank you Richard.