1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Oil Change on Toro Commercial Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Darryll, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Darryll

Darryll LawnSite Member
    from MD

Hey Everybody:

I purchased a new 36 inch Toro T-Bar Walkbehind. The manual says to change the oil after first 8 hours but makes no mention of changing the oil filter. It says change the oil filter when you get 200 hours. I called Toro and they said only change the oil after the first 8 hours and do not change the oil filter. Need your thoughts. I always thought you change the oil and oil filter at the same time like on cars.

2. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Change both. Engines break-in and have some wear which means there are some metal shavings in the oil, this has been discussed before. I would always change both, all the time.

3. mpriester

mpriester LawnSite Member
    Male, from Dunbar, Pa.

i just changed the oil and filter on my 48" at the 8 hour break in. to me it makes no good sense to run new oil through a dirty filter and filters are relatively inexpensive.

4. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I agree totally!!

5. CorkyE

CorkyE LawnSite Member

Same here also, always a new filter with new oil on any of my vehicles or equipment.

6. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, exactly.

7. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

Paid $3.75 ea. for several Purolators for my Kawi engines the other day. I can "waste" that much money for piece of mind.