• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

oil changes

jaybee

LawnSite Member
Does anybody out there really go by the owners manual when it comes to oil changes. I change the oil on my Kohler 25 about every thirty hours. I think the manual says 100 hrs. That's ridiculous , what do you guys think?

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
I don't have a 25 hp Kohler, but I have a 22 hp on a Chopper that I change every 50 hours and I have over 3,100 hours on it. I feel it's cheaper to change the oil than the engine, so I change at 1/2 the hours that they recommend. My Yanmar diesel engines, they say to change at 400 hours and I change it at 200 hours.

BUSHMASTER

LawnSite Senior Member
i CHange the oil in my(walker) kubota engine every 100 hrs.with mobil 1 tri synthetic.

mowerman90

LawnSite Bronze Member
I change oil "and" filter every 50 hours on my kubuta. Same goes for my Kohler

BUSHMASTER

LawnSite Senior Member
this is the second time i have read something on this and hey i can see the writing on the wall.....i think i going to go start changing at 50-65 hrs it seems to be the norm.
thanks folks.hey if you go to favorite parts store and buy 12 or more at a time i bet you can get an extra 15% off ....
thats how i buy.

chrisbolte

LawnSite Member
I change the oil at 50 hour approx. Do it whenever there is bad weather or extra time in day. The way I look at it is you at using engine at full power. So lets put this in terms of a car. 60 mph times 50 hour = 3000 miles. Every 3000 you should change your oil!!!

John DiMartino

LawnSite Silver Member
I usually go 1/2 the recommended interval,exc on my tractor,it says 100hrs ,the oil is still like new at 100hrs+it hold 8qts,gets expensive.I get a sample on my expensive equipment at least once a season,it lets you know how the engine is doing and if your getting any dirty air past the air filter.Cheap insurance for an expensive engine.

Ricky

LawnSite Member
Most of the time they have an interval to use in dusty conditions that is usually 1/2 of the normal rate. And most of the time it is dusty when we mow. So that is what I go by. I have a Yanmar diesel that they recommend changing the oil every 200 hrs. and the filter every 400 hrs. but I change every time I change the oil.

Ricky

In His (lawn) Service