• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Oil Drain Plug is Leaking

Matt D

LawnSite Member
I have a 2005 Super Mini Z w/ a 25hp Kawasaki. Oil is leaking from the brass oil drain plug (where it screws into the block). I've tried wrapping the threads of the plug w/ plumber's tape and replacing the o-ring, but it didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
Make sure someone has not tired to tighten it up past the threads. Sometimes on rare occastions we have had guys try this and cracked the oil pans.

OP
M

Matt D

LawnSite Member
Thanks for your replies, Guys.

I think you may be on to something MOHUSTLER. I tried replacing the valve with a brand new plastic plug from Kawasaki and oil was still leaking. I bought this mower last November and have only put about 1 hour on it since the grass hasn't been growing. It's spent alot more time in my shop, where I noticed a small oil stain on the concrete floor a few weeks ago. The valve may have been overtightened so the drain would point straight down, but it feels tight- I tried to turn it w/ a wrench. I guess just because it's tight doesn't mean there's not a small crack in the crankcase.

I may run it into my local dealer. It looks like I would have about $100 in parts alone to replace the crankcase cover and gasket. I'm guessing labor would cost more than the parts.

Anybody else been through this?

Chris "Greenville"

LawnSite Member
Same thing here. 2008 19 hp kaw mini Z. The drain valve starts collecting alot of dirt and dust because of the small amount of oil leaking. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic put a wrench on it and tightened it down. now the drain is pointing slightly to the left. Still has oil showing under the engine. I'll have to check out the case in the morning now....Thanks.

STCL01

LawnSite Member
Took it back for another issue, but had the leak. Dealer said they fixed it, but still the same problem. Changed the oil the other day. There are two threaded pieces. Need to put teflon tape on both. Go ahead and pull the whole drain assembly loose from the block after you drain the oil. No cracking, but the fit could be better between the parts.

OP
M

Matt D

LawnSite Member
I was able to take a good look at my mower this weekend and the "neck" on the crankcase that the drain valve threads into has a small crack. I'm going to talk to the local dealer this week about fixing it. I'll let you know what he recommends.

Drain Valve Arrow.jpg

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ouch, sadly I have seen that a few times, The labor will cost more then the parts. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TeeZee

LawnSite Member
I have a 2009 FasTrak with the 21hp Kawasaki that has this same issue.

Will this be covered under warranty if it is cracked and not just loose?

It only has 12 hours on it and is less than a year old, i've only changed the oil once, and noticed the leak. I've not tried tightening it for fear of cracking it if it isn't already.

Any updates on your crack Matt D?

mowerconsultant

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a 2009 FasTrak with the 21hp Kawasaki that has this same issue.

Will this be covered under warranty if it is cracked and not just loose?

It only has 12 hours on it and is less than a year old, i've only changed the oil once, and noticed the leak. I've not tried tightening it for fear of cracking it if it isn't already.

Any updates on your crack Matt D?

This is something a dealer has to see in their shop and give us / Kawasaki a call to make any warranty decisions.

Pj