Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All things being =, is a bigger filter better than a smaller one? In other words, if you add more oil to compencate for the size of a bigger filter, will you be better off, worse off, or about the same?

·
Registered
292 Posts
all things being equal, bigger filter will make no difference.

Now if all things are not equal, and the bigger filter has more filter material, then it will have a longer shell life. It wont filter better if its made out of the same material.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what i figured, and when i went to change my oil, i couldnt find a approximatly$7.95 filter the ripoff mower shop charges me. I did however find a $2.99 filter that Autozone sold me for my F150. It fits, just a bit longer. So that is what i will use in the future.

·
Registered
569 Posts
F 150
what year?
which
engine?

·
Registered
569 Posts
wix #51348
will work on kohler command
v twin
mine is a 23 hp

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just because a filter has the same thread size and oring size does not mean it will work. It depends on the direction of flow thru the filter. Most filters have some type of anti drain back valve. You can't flow oil backwards. There are over 100 different grades of materials filters are made of, and the quantity of material they are made of. Yes the Wix 51348 "fits", but it was actually designed for a chrysler automobile engine. That's it's main application. I prefer to see filters used that are designed for the application, not just ones that fit. There is a lot more to see inside than we know.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yeah ... Diff filters have different pressures that the bypass valves release at and some dont even have valves at all ... I would not mess with that .... Use the right filter for the application.. There are plenty of cross reff materials out there.. If you have the Kohler # let me know I may be able to look it up for you and get a hastings #.. I have their cross reff book...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
That is what i figured, and when i went to change my oil, i couldnt find a approximatly$7.95 filter the ripoff mower shop charges me. I did however find a $2.99 filter that Autozone sold me for my F150. It fits, just a bit longer. So that is what i will use in the future.
Why not do your own comparison ? Buy a new 7.95 rip off filter , and an Autozone 2.99 one and cut them apart ?

I ve spent time in the Wix plant and can tell you there is a big difference , and it's alot more than what you can see with the eye .

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Lawn Tek
Why not do your own comparison ? Buy a new 7.95 rip off filter , and an Autozone 2.99 one and cut them apart ?

I ve spent time in the Wix plant and can tell you there is a big difference , and it's alot more than what you can see with the eye .
Am i correct in assuming that you are saying the $7.95 filter is better? I just think that if its good enough for my truck engine, its good enough fora 18hp kohler. Also, who makes the filter thats painted black, and says kohler on the outside? I doubt its kohler, or wix, or any name wee would know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As i see it buy a Kohler or Kawasaki and put what belongs on it, on it, Cuz ya dont want anything else on when the warrenty is on or it can void the warrenty if engine blows. It's kinda like saying....a person putting a 4 cyl Honda filter on a Dodge Diesel........NOT !!!!!. My daine is off warrenty it still gets a kawi filter. It's worth the extra cost just to avoid breakdown costs & machine down time & for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Originally posted by b & t lawn care
As i see it buy a Kohler or Kawasaki and put what belongs on it, on it, Cuz ya dont want anything else on when the warrenty is on or it can void the warrenty if engine blows. .
Wrong !, The Magnuson-Moss Warrany Act
Consumer purchasers of power equipment products are sometimes told by O E power equipment dealers service writer or mechanic that brand of replacement product cannot be used in the consumers small engine during warranty period. The claim is made that the use will "void the warranty " with the statement or implication that only the orginal equipment brand of product may be used . This of course cast doubt on the qualityof the replacement part .
The claim is simply not true . If the consumer ask for the statement in writing , he will not receive it .
Under the Magnuson -Moss warranty act general princepals of the federal trade commission act, a manufacture may not require the use of any brand of product or any other vehicle unless the manufacture provides the item free of charge .So if the consumer is told only the orginal equipment will not void the warranty , he should request the O E product be supplied free of charge. If he is charged for the product the manufacture is violating the Magnuson - Moss warrant act
Stop by your local Napa store and ask for a copy ,

·
Registered
569 Posts
attn... kohler users
52 050 02= as follows
Wix # 51348
Fram # PH 7575
Purolater # L10241
Napa (Silver) #SFI21348
Napa (Gold) #FIL1348
Baldwin # BT 223
Donaldson # P550335
Fleetguard # LF3335
Luberfiner # PH2835

12 050 01= as follows
Wix # 51056
Fram # PH 8172
Purolater # L35310
Fleetguard # LF16108
Baldwin # B1410
Luberfiner # PH2814

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by SCAPEASAURUSREX
Yeah ... Diff filters have different pressures that the bypass valves release at and some dont even have valves at all ... I would not mess with that ....
Never heard of the bypass being located in the filter, but rather in the engine block itself......

As to the original question, a bigger filter will add oil capacity which will keep the oil temp down and lead to longer oil life.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Plan and simple...I've seen $20,000 race car motors blow up due to a cheap aftermarket filter coming apart. I use only OEM filters on everything. AC Delco, Motorcraft, Kawi, Kohler, honda, etc. Nothing else. Can these come apart also? Sure, but the quality standards are higher and the chances are lessened.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.